Cannot save my work!

Dear All,

I cannot save my work.

I get either
“file already in use” mssg

or

“Version 15.1 (20180932)
java.sql.BatchUpdateException: batch entry 0: [SQLITE_CANTOPEN] Unable to open the database file (unable to open database file)”.

I can see all my work on the screen but I cannot save it at all and I do not want to loose it.

Please help.

Tom

Have you tried save as another file?

Yes. No success.

Exporting does not work either. It says - you need to save the file first :slight_smile:

Tom

Hi,

Could you please send the following files to support-team@visual-paradigm.com and include the link to this post in the Email?

1. Log file, you can export from Help > About
  2. Workspace folder, you can find in Help > Switch Workspace

And please try to export XMI, XML, Excel to backup your project.

1 Like

Hello,

After some trial and error, here is what I found.

The issue was Windows 10 and its restrictions.

To modify the restrictions you need to go to:
Defender Security Center >> Virus threat protection >> Controlled folder access
VP must be added as an exception to the rule (ProgramFiles\VisualParadigm\bin\Visual Paradigm.exe)

Running VP in admin mode also solves the issue.

(my work was unfortunately lost but redrawing it was not as long as expected)

Thanks for your support,

Regards,

Tom

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @nyno!

Thanks for the tip!

I added the VP bin folder to the Controlled folder access and also noticed that the VPProjects directory was read-only so I removed that designation and I can save Projects again.

When I wrote my previous post I was still using Windows 7, 32bits. But in the mean time I’ve also upgraded to Windows 10 (64bit) but cannot reproduce any of these issues. Even though I’m also using Windows defender.

Of course I’m not saying that nothing happened; the problem here is that Windows 10 gets constantly updated so a bug back then could have easily been fixed this year.

But summing up: without any modifications I never experienced this issue myself on Windows 10. My data directory is located in the default location (c:\Users\myname\Documents\VPProjects) and VP itself is installed to c:\program files\visual paradigm 15.2.

So you might want to keep this in mind before blindly applying changes to your system.

(edit): One detail though… I’m using Windows 10 pro edition, which can behave somewhat different where rights management is concerned in comparison to the home edition.