Change lane to pool

Hi,

I have several lanes and child lanes in one pool, but now I find that the pool is obsolete and the parent lanes should be pools. Is there an possibility to do so easily?

Otherwise I have to build this structure anew an merge the lanes. But can I merge the parent lanes with their then new equivalent - a pool?

I would be glad to get to know a good solution for me working at the client version.

Thank you

Jack

We are sorry that at this moment no simple solution for your case.
It is possible to achieve but complex and hard.

We planned to support your case.
However, it is better to have your project file to ensure our enhancement works in your case.
If possible, please send it to: support-team@visual-paradigm.com
and include the link to this post in the email.

We will inform you once it is supported.

Hi Jack,

Regarding to your case you can right click on the lane and select Related Elements > Change Type to change it into Pool. After changing the lane into pool you can drag it out form the original pool to become an independent pool on the diagram. Please note that you will need to resize the original pool a bit to make it auto fix its size for the removed lane.

BTW we had made a small enhancement on latest v15.1 on changing lane into pool and you can update the software to latest patch build (20181030aj or later) to get this enhancement. Details about update to latest patch can be found at

• Please make sure you have pressed the “Update to latest patch” button on the left hand side of the dialog right after launching the update program

Feel free to contact me for any questions and wish you have a good day!

Best regards,
Rain Wong

1 Like

Hi Rain,

thank you for this information, that seems to fulfill my needs. But unfortunately there ist no option to change as mentioned:

I updated to the above patch build. Did I miss something?

Best regards,

Jack

I also updated my VP version to the latest patch and I can confirm that this feature should be present:

@jck Could you please double check that if you open the Help tab and then click About that it mentions 20181030aj in the lower right corner?

Also: I seem to vaguely recall this feature not to appear on the very first time I right clicked on the lane, but I could be mistaken. Try to de-select the pool (or lane) by clicking on canvas somewhere (once) and then hover the mouse over the lane again and right click.

Hope this can help!

Hi,

thank you Peter. I do have the right build, I think:

But could it happen (after seeing your Screenshot), that working on a Mac might be the reason? I tried several variations of clicking/selecting and de-selecting. This “Change Type” doesn’t want to appear.

Most definitely!

I can’t rule this out simply because I don’t know, but it seems unlikely to me. See: Visual Paradigm is developed in Java which means that besides a few specific components such as the launcher and the installer everything else should be the same on all platforms.

There’s one thing you could try: create a new project, add a new BPMN diagram and then add a pool with one or two lanes. Then try this procedure again (right click on the lane).

If that also doesn’t show this option then I’m running out of ideas.

Hi Jack,

You need to turn on Advanced UI mode to access the change type feature:

Hope this helps,

Antony.

1 Like

Thank you Peter and thank you Antony,

the missing advanced UI mode was the issue. Now I can test this most wanted functionality.
Thank you very much.

By the way, what else may I have missed all the time by not using this mode?

This is a good start into that day, I wish you the same

Jack

1 Like

HI Jack,

Here are the features that are enabled in advanced UI mode only:

• Clear sequence diagram’s message name completion history

Best Regards,

Antony.

1 Like