java.lang.NullPointerException

Hello,

I’ve got problems saving a visual paradigma (vp) project: I’ve imported CAT-files resp. a MDL-File from Rational Rose into vp containing more than 1350 class diagrams and some sequence diagrams. Everything works fine until I’m trying to save the vp project file, which yields the following java error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

And saving the procejt isn’t possible at all. The log-File lists:
[Wed Jun 04 17:04:31 CEST 2008] [warning] java.lang.NullPointerException
at v.ihkb.f(:208)
at v.ihkb.i(:172)
at v.ibdj.i(:326)
at v.irhf.i(:214)
at v.ipaw.f(:2089)
at v.ipaw.saveModel(:2068)
at v.ipaw.f(:2105)
at v.ipaw.f(:2105)
at v.icyp.i(:135)
at v.icyp.i(:47)
at v.ipvn.f(:48)
at v.izdd.i(:926)
at v.ieru.i(:843)
at v.ieru.f(:918)
at v.iweg.in(:2591)
at v.iacn.run(:50)

I tried reducing the number of class diagrams to something round about 650, which works fine for saving the project, but isn’t what I actually intend to do…

Is there a limit in the number of diagrams vp projects are able to save? Does a workaround exist for saving such “big” vp projects? Or migth there some other things be wrong?

I’m using:
Visual Paradigma 6.2 (Build sp1_20080417) Standard Edition
J2SE Dev. Kit 5.0_12
J2SE Runtime 5.0_12

Thanks for help or any advices :smiley:

Kerstin

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for your post. I’ve forwarded the details to our engineers to follow-up. Once there is any feedback, I’ll come back to you immediately. If there is anything I can help, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Kerstin,

For your saving problem, could you please try to disable Auto Save function? You can disable the Auto Save option at Tools > Options… > General > Project.

Please let me know if there are any problems or errors found.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately disabling the auto save option doesn’t improve a thing. I still get the “java.lang.NullPointerException” and am not able to save the project.

Are there any other things I can do - maybe validate the project… or??

Thanks in advance!
Kerstin

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for your reply. Since the log messages maybe different even with the same exception, could you please send me the vp.log file for investigation? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello Lilian,

Thanks for your help! Attched you’ll find the vp.log you were asking for…

Best regards.
Kerstin
CAT_vp_import.no_ext

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for the vp.log file. I’ve passed the file to our engineers tp investigate. I’ll keep you informed for any news about this issue. By the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Kerstin,

I would like to notify you that our engineers have fixed the problem of getting error when importing Rational Rose MDL file, please download the patch from the following link and see if your problem can be solved.

http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200806/Patch/sp1_20080513zd/VP_Suite_Windows_3_2_sp1_20080513zd.exe

To use the patch:

1. Exit any running instance of VP
  2. Install by overwriting the current installation
  3. Restart the product.

Note: This patch is made for VP Suite 3.2 SP1 (VP-UML 6.2 SP1). Please make sure you have a valid product license. Otherwise you won’t be able to start up the product after the installation.

If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello Lilian,

thanks a lot for your help! Saving the VP-project (import of rational rose mdl-files) does work now!!

Unfortunately I have another problem concerning the import of rational rose cat-files: I’ve got the same modell I’ve worked with as mdl-file as cat-files as well. The thing I want to do now is to compare the two different ways of importing rational rose files and find out witch results these yield in (e.g. completeness of diagramm layout). But saving the VP-project after importing the cat-files doesn’t work and gives the same error (java.lang.NullPointerException).

I’ve attached the VP-log-file.

Would be absolutely pleased if there is a solution for this problem as well…
Thanks a lot in advance!!

Sincerely
Kerstin
CATimport.no_ext

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve passed the details to our engineers to follow-up. If there is any feedback, I’ll come back to you immediately.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thanks Lilian!

I forgot to mention that I’m now using VP 6.3 as the new version was published a few days ago…

Best regards
Kerstin

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for your additional information. I’ve passed this to our engineers as well. I’ll let you know if there is any news about this issue.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Kerstin,

Sorry for the delay. We have enhanced our application in the latest patch, which should solve your problem of getting error after importing the cat-files. Please download the latest patch from the following link and see if your problem is solved.
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200806/Patch/20080623a/VP_Suite_Windows_3_3_20080623a.exe

If there is any problem, please let me know!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Kerstin,

Sorry that I forgot to remind you, the patch “20080623a” does not contain the fix of your previous problem (after importing Rational Rose MDL file).
However, it is already deployed in our new version (VP Suite 3.3), please download the latest patch in the link below, this patch also contains the fix for the problem of getting error after importing CAt-files.

http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200806/Patch/20080623d/VP_Suite_Windows_3_3_20080623d.exe

If there is any problem in importing Rational Rose MDL file or CAT-files, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lilian,

thanks for your reply. Unfortnately saving my VP-project after importing the .CAT-files still doesn’t work - even with the new VP update I got from you. Attached you find the new log file…

If you have any other suggestions what other things might be wrong (i.e. the Rose-model itself) please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Kerstin
CAT_Import_20080709.no_ext

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for replying. Would you mind to send me the source file(s) you imported? Thanks in advance!

*If you do not want the files to be accessed by public, please send to lilian@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Dear Kerstin Zepperitz,

I’ve received the source files in my email address, thanks for your help! I’ve forwarded the files to our engineers for investigation. If there is any news about the issue of saving project after imported .CAT files, I’ll notify you immediately.

By the meantime, if there is any inquiry, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Kerstin,

About the saving problem, may I know the detail steps of how you import the .cat files into VP? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Lillian,

Sure!

• open Visual Paradigm (VP), change workspace if necessary (I’ve already created one especially for this test), create new project and save project
  • import .cat-files via File > Import > Rose Project… in the following order:
    ISO 19103 Conceptual Schema Language.cat
    ISO 19107 Spatial Schema.cat
    ISO 19108 Temporal.cat
    ISO 19109 Rules for App Schema.cat
    ISO 19110 Feature Cataloging.cat
    ISO 19111 Spatial Ref By Coordinates.cat
    ISO 19115 Metadata.cat
    ISO 19123 Coverages.cat
    ISO 19136 GML.cat
    Spatial Examples from ISO 19107.cat
    Basisschema.cat
    Fachschema.cat
    Ausgabekatalog.cat
    NAS-Operationen.cat
    Versionierungsschema.cat
  • try to save project (which - so far - didn’t work…)

Best regards
Kerstin

Hi Kerstin,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot repeat your problem with the steps. Can I schedule an online meeting with you to take a look at this problem? The online meeting will be held over a secure connection. I will be able to see your screen and may need to control it with your approval. If you can join the meeting, please let me know when you will be available and what time zone are you in. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong