C++ support in VP2.3?

Hello,

I am starting with the VP community edition.

a)
I learned that with the commercial editions of VP,
there is the

Tools / Instant Reverse

import option for C++ and Java code.

Well but there is the option to import .NET binaries ( but not C#, C++, J#, VB.NET sources ).

I expect to import c#, j# and vb.net SOURCES, to do the same development process as with Java and C++ ( did any of your customers expect anything else ?!!).

Maybe I did not understand the concept of VP 2.3 ?
Please give me some tips !
Of course I know that “unfusicated” .NET binaries are “open house” for reengineering… and give you the option to import hundreds of compiler language “sources” ( including Cobol…LOL ) by supporting just ONE format.
The problem of course is if the project is not ready to recompile…
and do the binaries really contain “all” stuff ( local attribute names in classes,…)

So is import of these .net source language TEXT files expected to be a (near-)future feature ?

b)
But if I start a new project, if I create a class, and an attribute,
there are “just” Java basic datatypes

(class attribute ) Open Specification
Type: boolean ==> Java, but not bool ==> C++

So is there any switch in VP 2.3 to switch between Java, C++,C#,VB.NET… in the design editor ?
As you support .NET languages with SDE 5.3, plus integration of VP with VS.NET 2005 and Eclipse, I “expected” such a feature.

Maybe I did not understand the concept of VP 2.3 ?
Please give me some tips !

c)
Do you support integration of the C++ development kit of Eclipse (CDT ), as part of the Eclipse integration ?

Sincerely
Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thank you for your post. Let me answer your questions one by one.

Question: reverse engineer C#, C++, J#, VB.NET sources

Answer:
First of all I would like to clarify that we support reverse engineering C++ sources throught Instant Reverse.

For the other source types, I am going to forward your request to our developers for further feasibility studies.

Question: Why are there only Java basic datatypes?

Answer:
Actually UML should be independent from any kinds of programming laguage. But I think your need does make sense. I will forward your request to our engineers to see if we can support such a switch.

Question: Do you support integration of the C++ development kit of Eclipse (CDT)

Answer:
We did plan to support CDT. But it takes times. I will let you know once we have a timeframe on this feature.

Best Regards,
Jick