Can't use Auto Column Type

I am selecting “Auto set column type by name” in “Options>Diagramming>ERD&ORM>Auto Column Type” and writing “string(255)” as Type column (please, see attachment). Why this type column generated as “number(10)” (by default)?

change_auto_column_type.png

Hi Eugeny,

Thanks for your post. It automatically changed to number(10) indicates that “string(255)” is an invalid type to your selected database.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

“varchar2” is valid type, but it changed to number(10). Why?

Hi Eugeny,

I tried again and it does work. Here are my steps of my testing:

1. configure Auto Column Type at Tools > Options > Diagramming > ERD & ORM as shown as attached image
  2. select Tools > Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) > Database Configuration and check “Oracle”
  3. create ERD and an entity on it
  4. add a column and enter column name as “SwMark” (the one I configured for Auto Column Type) and automatically it shows configured varchar2(255) as its type

Would it be you are not entering same name in column as you configured? Did not configure Oracle as your default database?

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

configure_auto_column_type.png

Sorry, but I generated ERD from Class Diagram. I didn’t add a column on ERD. It’s possible by the use of generation from ClassDiagram to ERD?

Hi Eugeny,

Thanks for replying and I’ve forwarded the issue to our engineers to check.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Eugeny,

Sorry for my late response. We enhanced to follow Auto Column Type configuration when synchronize attribute to column, please update your software to latest patch sp1_20091203r or later. For more details about updating to latest patch, please visit:

Now you can get varchar2(255) as type if you have selected Oracle as default database and enter attribute name as you configured in Auto Column Type - you can refer to the attached image.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

auto_column_type.png