ER Diagram: Defining ENUM and Data DOMAINS

What’s the easiest way to define columns as ENUM’s or custom Data DOMAINS in a VP for UML Entity Relationship Diagram?

I’ve seen the article for DB-VA, and about enabling ‘User-Types’. I can’t seem to get the Column Specification to have an enabled ‘User-Type’ field, regardless of it being enabled in the Presentation Options for the diagram.

For instance, I’ll have a table in a mysql db like such:

create table servers (status enum(‘ACTIVE’, ‘OFFLINE’, ‘UNKNOWN’));

But I’ll also have a table in a pgsql db like so:

CREATE DOMAIN dns_resource_type AS VARCHAR(5) CHECK (VALUE IN
(‘A’, ‘AAAA’, ‘CNAME’, ‘HINFO’, ‘MX’, ‘NS’, ‘PTR’, ‘SRV’, ‘TXT’));

CREATE TABLE dns_resources (
id SERIAL8 PRIMARY KEY,
dns_zone_id INT8 NOT NULL REFERENCES dns_zones,
name VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL,
type DNS_RESOURCE_TYPE NOT NULL,
data VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL,
aux INT4 NULL DEFAULT NULL,
ttl INT4 NULL DEFAULT NULL);

(also note that pgsql’s serial column type refers to a sequence, that would ideally be able to be expressed in the ER diagram.)

What would be the best way to describe these two tables in my entity relationship diagram?

Hello rcreasey,

Thank you for your question. I will consult our engineers first and then answer your question a.s.a.p.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello rcreasey,

Do you want to present the user type in ERD? if so, you can right-click on the ERD and use the popup menu “Presentation Options > Show Column User Type”.

Currently we don’t support domain, you can specify the check constraint in column specification (but cannot view in ERD).

Best regards,
Jick

Hrm, ok… I’d like to use User Type columns, but it doesn’t seem to be enabled.

I’m using the community version of VP, and have tried it even with a trial Professional license. Both versions have the User Type column disabled (even though I have it enabled). What am I doing wrong?

options.png

col_spec.png

Hello rcreasey,

Please make sure you have selected a database which supports User defined type as default. To do this:

1. Select Tools > Object Relational Mapping (ORM) > Database Configuration from the main menu.
  2. Right-click on the database type (e.g. MySQL) and select set as Default.

Returns back to the column specification. You will find the User Type entry enabled. For more details about User Type, please read:
http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/vpsuite2.3sp1/user_type.html

Best regards,
Jick

What is the lowest edition of VP-UML suite where this is possible?
In Community it is disabled.

Hi user,

Thanks for your post. Professional Edition is the minimum edition of VP-UML for Object-Relational Mapping (ORM). Besides, Database Visual ARCHITECT (DB-VA) also supports ORM feature.

FYI, details of ORM feature can be found at http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/vpumluserguide2.jsp?format=html

If there is any further inquiry, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi,

I am a bit disappointed I can’t use native MySQL types in my Modeler version. I don’t need to produce SQL scripts or reverse-engineer them to ERD, I just need to create a diagram which will be implemented manualy by programmers to MySQL. It seems like non-sense to me that I need a better full featured version in order to use the “Modeler” version properly.

Is there a way how to simply turn on MySQL types without using whole ORM features (and so upgrade the version)?

Hi Lukas Fruit,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve send you a private message regarding to the database type issue, please have a check.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I have the same query as lukas.fruit, can I get a reply here?

I tried registering but the script returns NullPointerException, how wonderful.

Hi user,

Thanks for your post. Our engineers are checking the registration problem. If you don’t mind, you can tell me the username you want to have in our forum in email and I’ll try to register an account for you. Please send your email to lilian.wong@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I also have the same question. I want to use native MySQL types in my ERD, for example ENUM. I use the community version.

I’ve tried to register but also got an error NullPointerException.

Hi user,

Thanks for replying. Would you mind to send an email to lilian.wong@visual-paradigm.com with username and email address you would like to register in forum so I can help you to create an forum account?

And I’ve forwarded the registration problem to our engineers to check.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello,

Was there a fix for the ENUM issue? I am using the newest version of vp-uml (community edition), and have no option to set column type to enum.

Yep. I’ve just the same problem too. I use VP 15.2 (Build 20190906) and now I support ER diagram. Look, guys, on this picture

Is this a right decision?