Actor from textual analysis for Use Case only?

My environment: NB 6.7.1, SDE ME-NB 5.1 (build 20090918 )

Hi there,

Not sure if this is a bug or a misunderstanding on my part so I figured I might as well put it in the forum and find out…

I’m currently working on a bigger project and ran into a weird issue; I’ve fully adopted the textual analysis diagrams (I think this is a brilliant feature for designs!) and as such ended up with the snippet “web start” which I added as an actor but it hasn’t been used in a Use Case diagram. I’m currently working on a Sequence diagram and need the web start actor so I dragged it from my model window onto the diagram (its currently a candidate item). However; to my surprise I didn’t get a regular actor (“lifeline actor” ?), but a Use Case (stickman) actor was added instead.

If I first add this into a Use Case (so I have the Use Case stickman model and the candidate item) it works as expected when I drag the Use case actor in my sequence diagram.

Well, the obvious question naturally being: is this a bug or am I overlooking something obvious ?

Another (totally unrelated) question if I may… Are there any plans to to add connectors to activity diagrams (please don’t tell me I overlooked that :wink: ) ? I’m referring to the circle with a (usually single letter) name in it which can be used to end the flow and resume it on another section of the diagram.

Not a big issue at all, just curious.

And of course thanks in advance for any insights you can provide me!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your post and the details. For the actor problem, I’ve forwarded to our engineers to fix.

For another issue of activity edge connector, I’m sorry that you really “overlooked that”.
Please right-click on the connector between activities and select Split Connector, then the connector will be split into a pair of activity edge connectors. Hope this answer your question :wink:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello Ms. Wong,

Thanks a lot, that was indeed what I was looking for. One question regarding the connectors though; I noticed that after splitting the activity line it remains “linked” while the connectors themselves aren’t and was wondering if this was the normal behavior ?

So; if I split the connector between activities (say A and B) I end up with two “activity connectors” (say “H”), both connected to an activity (A or B). If I then label the connector between A and H this label also appears between H and B. However, if I label the “activity connector” (H) itself its label isn’t copied.

It makes perfect sense since the connection line is basically split, but I was wondering if it wouldn’t be easier (on the end user :wink: ) to copy it instead and “link” the “activity connector”.

With kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying. Please update your product to latest patch (20091021q or later) and you will get the activity edge connector pair synchronized. more details about update to latest patch can be found from:

Best regards,
Lilian WOng

Hello Ms. Wong,

Whoah, that is fast ! :smiley:

Right now I’m at work and can’t test it right away (I’m in my break :wink: ), but as soon as I’m home I’ll perform the update to try it out.

Thanks very much, this is impressive as always.

With kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

You are welcome :smiley:

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello Ms. Wong,

I just updated to the latest update and then applied the update to the latest patch (so I’m currently using build 20091028e) and I noticed that the behavior I described above also seems to be addressed. The update is probably still being tested and such, but this looks very promising indeed.

If this issue hasn’t been addressed yet (or partly) then I assume that the behavior is related to the Models window. Today I discovered your post in the UML forum where you elaborated on the Model window and how you could (and should) use different models (“packages” or perhaps “folders” ?) to make sure things don’t clutter up in the root section because this also enhances the startup time due to lazy loading.

I wasn’t familiar with that option (there is SO much to discover in SDE) and started experimenting with it and ordered my models. And if I drag the previous mentioned “web start” into my sequence diagram (this time from the “analysis model” instead of the root) it immediately shows as the right actor. This really makes life a lot easier, fantastic. I did notice a small glitch (or so I think) during testing; if I try to drag the candidate item into a Use Case diagram first and after that into a sequence diagram then nothing happens. Then it will only work if I drag the created Use Case actor (stickman) into the sequence diagram. I have no idea if this really is a glitch or not, but figured I’d mention it anyway. I can imagine that after you created a real actor (whether it is a stickman or something else) that will be the model you’d utilize in other diagrams.

And on a side note I’d also like to mention that even before I discovered your comments on “model ordering” I noticed that SDE’s speed has increased. Ever since I installed the previous patch (which fixed the “unsynced activity split”) I noticed that the overall responsiveness had increased. I’m not on the fastest PC around so I really notice something like that. I really like the directions which SDE is taking these days, in my experience things really improved a lot over the past months.

With kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying and your positive feedback to our SDE! We will keep improving our products!
I’ve forwarded the issue of not creating actor model in sequence diagram to our engineers to follow-up, and I’ll come back to you once there is any news.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Peter,

I’m sorry for my late response. Our engineers have fixed the creating actor model issue, please run “VP Suite Update” for updating software to latest patch (sp1_20100106n). If you need details about updating to latest patch, please visit:

By the way, I’m glad to announce that we released VP Suite 4.2 today (covers SDE 5.2). You can get details about new features in this release at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/sde/nb/releasenotes/520.jsp

Feel free to have a post again if you have any inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong