Applying same diagram to multiple elements as sub diagram not working

Hi everyone,

I´m not really sure, if it is a feature or a bug, but actually it´s not possible to apply the same diagram to multiple elements as a sub diagram in whole project. if it is a feature, should I use diagram references instead?

greetings, charon

Hi Charon,

Thanks for your post. Diagram can have on parent only, so you cannot apply the same diagram to multiple models.
BTW, if you tried to apply a diagram as sub-diagram of modelA, then apply again to modelB, the diagram will be automatically detached from modelA and become sub-diagram of modelB.

You can use diagram reference to link the diagram up to the models, then when you select the model and click its Reference icon (on left bottom corner), it will navigate to the referenced diagram when you click on the diagram reference.
For more details about adding reference to model, please visit:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/demos/visualmodeling/refartifact.jsp

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi LilianWong,

thank you very much for your kind description. It helped a lot. :slight_smile: More over, could you give me some use cases, when to use references from model elements to other diagrams and when to use sub diagrams? For instance, when I have to model a 1:n-reference from one model element to an existing diagram, I obviously have two ways to do this in VP, but what´s the right way?

greetings, charon

Hi Charon,

Thanks for replying. Sub-diagram is exactly representing the owner, and solely owned by the owner. Reference is not representing the owner, but may help to understand the owner.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong