Business Process models - re-use of pools & lanes

I am trying to diagram complex business processes in Agilian & need to break the overall high-level process picture down into smaller chunks & re-use Pools & Lanes from the model across diagrams. However, I am experiencing strange non-inheritence behaviour when dragging items from the Model tree.

If I drag a Pool from the model, its name is re-used but another instance of the same Pool name is created within the Model tree, with a unique ID. I would expect the original Pool to be re-used (or perhaps a clone, if necessary to to identify its use within each diagram instances).

If I drag a Lane from the model into its owning Pool (or just onto the Process Diagram canvas), it does not become a Lane within its owning Pool as previously defined but rather a text box which can nor be edited in any way.

This behaviour seems to imply that for consistency, I will have to describe the entire set of top-level business processes on a single diagram, which seems hard to believe (& nearly impossible to manage). Is this perhaps a reduced feature set in Agilian compared to the Visual Business Process Modeller (did I buy the wrong product)?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Keith…

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your post. I just have a quick try. Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the problem you have. I captured a flash movie for my actions. Please watch at:
http://files4.visual-paradigm.com/200704/Jick/pool-and-lane.htm

One point I haven’t mention in the movie is that - If you drag a pool from Model tree to the diagram, the contained lane(s) won’t be created. If you want to show them, right-click on the Pool and select Show Lane > %LANE% from the popup menu.

So go back to your original problem. Could you try with a blank project and see if the problem is repeatable or not? If it is repeatable, could you post the log file here? You can find the log file inside the bin folder of VP Suite.

If the problem occur only in your current project, would you mind sending me your project, and provide me with the steps for reproducing the problem? Thank you in advance!

PS. For security reasons, please do not post the project file here. You can send to my email address at:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for the repsonse & video. This is the behaviour I was expecting but I do not get in my project. I have tried to replicate your video & it works fine on my Mac, so it seems I have a problem with my particular project file.

I’ll email you off-list

Thanks & regards

Keith…

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your email. I supposed the problem is solved in the latest release. If you encounter any other problems, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for your rapid response to my initial problem & my off-list email.

I was not expecting you to be able to sort out the problem in my project file, too, but hey, you did! :smiley:

The problem has not recurred, so it looks like the new release has indeed solved this. Well done to the development team, too!

Thanks & regards

Keith…

Hi Keith,

This is our pleasure! :smiley:

We thank you for your post, and sharing with us about your user experience. Feel free to post again if you have any questions or suggestions about us. Bye.

Best regards,
Jick