Communication Diagram Object How?

Hi,
I recently upgraded to v5 which implements UML 2 constructs as you know. I am only versed in UML 1.x and am trying to understand the difference between a collaboration diagram and communication diagram. I cannot seem to find the icon to insert an object into a communication diagram. Can you please assist.
Regards
Tiaan

Not sure if this answers your question.

“trying to understand the difference between a collaboration diagram and communication diagram”

Collaboration diagram is a collection of objects that play roles within the context.

Communication diagram and sequence diagrams are showing interactions. The communication diagram is for the object relationship and the sequence diagram shows the sequence.

Collaboration diagram is no longer in UML 2.0 and you should use the Composite Structure Diagram instead. The Composite Structure Diagram, is to show the internal structure (parts and connectors) of a structured classifier or a collaboration. If you want to show the collaboration definitions you can use the class diagram to do so.

Now where I think VP might be misleading with the allowed UML elements in UML2 the elements allowed on a Communication Diagram are Lifeline and messages. Although VP allows Actors etc.

You will find that you can use your interface elements in the Composite Structure diagram.

Hope this helps.
H.