DAOs

I am evaluating SDE 3.0 right now. First off, lovely product. But I had a few things I had some issues/questions:

1. Why did you encapulate all of the save/delete/update functionality into the generated POJOs as opposed to using a DAO class for each entity??

2. I have not found a way to stop the ORM wizard from making the setters for my primary key private. This is kind of annoying to go through each classes code and change it to public.

3. Could you add a feature to quickly page through the Columns/Attributes and Operations in the Specification ?? Like an arrow so you can quickly page through each Column/Attribute/Operation specification and make quick changes, instead of closing the specification sheet and opening the next one.

Just some thoughts. Great product though.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your message. Let me answer your question one by one.

Answer: This is because we want to make the POJO more easy to use when programming. Developers just need to call entityobject.save() to save the instance instead of finding a related class to perform this action. If you have any suggestion on this topic we can discuss in more detail.

Answer: Thank you for your comment. I will discuss this suggestion with our product manger. I think we can add this features very soon.

Answer: Thank you for your suggestion. I will discuss this suggestion with our product manger. I think we can add this features very soon.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain

Rain,

Thanks again for your reply. In regards to using DAOs, I admit allowing the POJO to persist itself may make it easier to implement in a simple CRUD type of applications. But for many application I use the Spring Framework. I like being able set up my session and attach it to my DAOs in the best way (normally attaching it to the request). And then set up my transactions in my services in the business tier, then I am able to pass the POJOs back and forth between my tiers. In those cases, it would be nice, at the very least, to be able to instruct SDE not to add the CRUD methods to my POJOs and instead just construct the POJO and the hbm files and let me set up the DAOs on my own. Does this sound like something that could make its way into SDE ?? Thanks again.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Thanks for replying and your suggestion. We are going to support this in the future. I’ll notify you immediately once it was ready. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain