Eclipse 3.1.2 hangs when opening after installing SDE 3.3

I have Eclipse version 3.1.2 and I just installed SDE-EC for the first time. When I start Eclipse from the shortcut Start->All Programs->Visual Paradigm->SDE 3.3 for Eclipse, it hangs there under I have to kill via task manager. A file under my eclipse directory contains a file with the exception:

[ Mon Jun 26 16:55:44 EDT 2006]: Start Smart Development Environment Community Edition for Eclipse [SDE CE-EC]: 3.3 (20060625)
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: installProperty
at v.qsl.installDefaults(Ljavax/swing/AbstractButton;)V(:48)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonUI.installUI(Ljavax/swing/JComponent;)V(BasicButtonUI.java:60)
at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Ljavax/swing/plaf/ComponentUI;)V(JComponent.java:449)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.setUI(Ljavax/swing/plaf/ButtonUI;)V(AbstractButton.java:1616)
at javax.swing.JButton.updateUI()V(JButton.java:119)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.init(Ljava/lang/String;Ljavax/swing/Icon;)V(AbstractButton.java:1952)
at javax.swing.JButton.<init>(Ljava/lang/String;Ljavax/swing/Icon;)V(JButton.java:109)
at javax.swing.JButton.<init>()V(JButton.java:64)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicArrowButton.<init>(ILjava/awt/Color;Ljava/awt/Color;Ljava/awt/Color;Ljava/awt/Color;)V(BasicArrowButton.java:41)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsScrollBarUI$WindowsArrowButton.<init>(Lcom/sun/java/swing/plaf/windows/WindowsScrollBarUI;ILjava/awt/Color;Ljava/awt/Color;Ljava/awt/Color;Ljava/awt/Color;)V(WindowsScrollBarUI.java:219)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsScrollBarUI.createIncreaseButton(I)Ljavax/swing/JButton;(WindowsScrollBarUI.java:93)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollBarUI.installDefaults()V(BasicScrollBarUI.java:140)
at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsScrollBarUI.installDefaults()V(WindowsScrollBarUI.java:45)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicScrollBarUI.installUI(Ljavax/swing/JComponent;)V(BasicScrollBarUI.java:102)
at javax.swing.JComponent.setUI(Ljavax/swing/plaf/ComponentUI;)V(JComponent.java:449)
at javax.swing.JScrollBar.setUI(Ljavax/swing/plaf/ScrollBarUI;)V(JScrollBar.java:185)
at javax.swing.JScrollBar.updateUI()V(JScrollBar.java:205)
at javax.swing.JScrollBar.<init>(IIIII)V(JScrollBar.java:139)
at javax.swing.JScrollBar.<init>(I)V(JScrollBar.java:154)
at javax.swing.JScrollPane$ScrollBar.<init>(Ljavax/swing/JScrollPane;I)V(JScrollPane.java:675)
at javax.swing.JScrollPane.createVerticalScrollBar()Ljavax/swing/JScrollBar;(JScrollPane.java:820)
at javax.swing.JScrollPane.<init>(Ljava/awt/Component;II)V(JScrollPane.java:262)
at javax.swing.JScrollPane.<init>(Ljava/awt/Component;)V(JScrollPane.java:286)
at v.qeo.f()V(:83)
at v.qeo.<init>(Lv/htd;)V(:52)
at v.cwl.<init>(Lv/itjk;I)V(:514)
at v.itjk.<init>(I[Ljava/lang/String;)V(:598)
at v.itjk.<init>(I)V(:555)
at v.trm.run()V(:86)
at java.lang.Thread.startThreadFromVM(Ljava/lang/Thread;)V(Unknown Source)

If I start Visual Paradigm for UML 5.3, I have no problems running the program. If I start Eclipse without the SDE-EC starting up, it works fine until I click on Modeling->Start SDE-EC, then another exception like the one above is created. Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks for your help.

HI Kurt,

Thank yo for your post. Could you let me know which OS are you using? If possible, please send me the Eclispe Configuration Details as well. You can copy the Configuration Details from the About dialog of Eclipse.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hey Jick, I’m running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2. I’ve attached the config doc.

Thanks

Hi Kurt,

Sorry, but we are unable to repeat the problem you have. I looks like you are using a JDK that is provided by another product. Do you have other JDK installed? If yes, would you mind trying to run with another JDK? You can run Eclipse by adjusting the -vm argument like the following:

Example:
Eclipse -vm C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\java

Best Regards,
Jick