Eclipse SDE hangs on startup

Good day,
I have just installed the VP SDE CE 5.3 (sp2_20060914). When I open the “UML Modeling” perspective in eclipse (v3.2.0) and then File->New Diagram->New Class Diagram. A dialog pops up saying Operation in progress, but just seems to hang there.

In the vp.log file which I found in my home directory I see an exception is thrown whenever I try and create the new diagram. Find a gzipped version of the file attached.

I would appreciate the assistance,
thanks,
Oscar
vp.log.gz

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for your post. Could you try to start Eclipse and SDE in the following way?

1. Open the $eclipse folder
  2. Execute the file eclipse
  3. Select Modeling | Start SDE-EC from the main menu
  4. Try to create a diagram

If the above steps can solve the problem, could you let me know how did you start Eclipse before? Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the option to “Start SDE-EC” was disabled on the modeling menu bar. I eventually came right though. I executed: /opt/VP_Suite2.3/bin/VP_Suite. I then saw that it hadn’t picked up the SDE for Eclipse as being installed, which is odd, because I did install it originally, and the com.vp.sde.eclipse file did exist in the plugins path for eclipse. I “re-installed” the SDE for eclipse, and it now seems to work. I have a feeling that the problem was that I didn’t set the license key as a combined license key, and used it as a single license key. Would that be my mistake?

thank you for your trouble,
Oscar

Hi Oscar,

Thank you for posting the problem status. There should be a problem with your installation. Yet, we could not identify what the problem is at this moment. But we will investigate why this problem occurred. Thank you once again.

Best regards,
Jick