Faulty Visio Integration

Hi,

I’m currently evaluationg VP for UML 6.0 Enteprise Edition, build id: sp2_20070612

The installation of bothl VP for UML and the “Visio Send to UML” add-on passes ok. However after the “Visio Send to UML” is installed no stencils can be imported. When I press the the “import stencil” button the error message "There are no shapes can be imported. please install bundled/VisioSendToVP.msi to for importing shapes from Visio. Appart from the two gramatical/styling errors in the error message the bigger problem is that I cannot import any stencils. The menu “Tools/VP” in visio is also not available.

P.S. Visio integration is quite critical to us in order to adopt VP in our organization

Hi,

I just noticed that I’ve done my post while logged off.

The message is not put here by an anonymous poster.

Regards,
Hristo

Some more information about the environment

Win XP SP2 all updates installed

.Net Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 all patches for all versions installed
Visio 2003 - all patches installed.

Regards,
Hristo

Hi Hristo,

Have you draw shapes in Visio, and sent to VP by accessing the menu in Visio (e.g. Tools > VP > Send All Shapes to VP)?

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

The menu Tools->VP is missing from my Visio, although the installation of “Visio Send To VP” was reported successfull and no error events have been reported in the windows event log.

I haven’t created any shapes by myself. Instead there’s a set of Visio shapes that we need to use inside VP.

Regards,
Hristo

Hi Hristo,

Did you Open your drawing in Visio, and attempt to send stencil from there? Currently we support only new diagram. In other words, please select the shapes you want to send to VP, Copy them, create a new Drawing, and paste the stencil there. After all, you should be able to send. If this still fail, please copy the stencil, and restart Visio with a new drawing, paste and send the stencil to VP.

Sorry for any inconvenience it may cause you.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks to your hint, now I’m able to access the Tools->VP menu from visio.

Sending the shapes out of Visio was successfull. However the import of the stencil within VP failed.

I’ve attached screen-shots of all the steps that I do. At the end VP just hangs and the only choice I’m left is to kill it.

The steps I do are:

1. Create a diagram with SAP own shapes
  2. sent the diagram and all shapes to VP
  3. From whithin VP I choose to import a stencil - the sent diagram is recognized and displayed however the preview pane is empty - i.e. not showing any of the shapes
  4. I create a new type of diagram and press OK
  5. New windows is oppened. Only the caption bar of this window is visible. Nothing can be done as this is a modal window.
    VP_Fail_Steps.zip

HI Hristo,

Sorry about this. Could you post ${vp-suite-install-dir}/bin/vp.log here?

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Here comes the log. Note that I had to kill VP, thus regarding your logging strategy some entries might be missing.

Regards,
Hristo
vp.log

Hi Hristo,

May I hold an online meeting with you now to check this problem? the online meeting will be carried out through secure connection. We can see your screen with your approval.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

No problem. Please provide connection details.

Regards,
Hristo

Hi Hristo,

Information is sent to your Email address.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Thanks to your support now this problem seems to be solved.

My new question now is whether it is possible to build some kind of redistributable package containing the necessary Visio forms. We could use such a package to import the shapes in VP installations where Visio is not installed on the same box.

Regards,
Hristo

Hello Hristo,

After you have exported the Visio stencil, the exported graphics will be put inside %HOME-DIR%/.vpvisiosendto directory. Therefore, you can copy .vpvisiosendto to the computer where you want to import the stencil.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

One “final” question I hope. Is it necessary to have visio installed on every box where I want to use VP with imported Visio Shapes?

In case that a visio installation is necessary, whould Visio Viewer alone be enough?

Thanks,
Hristo

Hi Hristo,

I must answer this question very carefully because other readers of this thread may be unclear about your background.

Normally, you need to have Visio installed in order to export the stencil from Visio and import into VP. This is because we assume that you perform the export (from Visio) and import (to VP) actions in the same machine. For your case, it is possible to export stencils from one machine, and import them into VP in another machine. The machine that you will import stencil to does not require the installation of Visio. Likewise, the machine that you export Visio stencil from need not to install VP, but the plugin “VisioSendToVP.msi” that could be found inside ${VPSuite-install-dir}/bin

Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi!

I have nearly the same problems.

Configuration:
MS Office Visio 2007
VP-UML 6.1 Modeler Edition, valid evaluation Key
VisioSendToVP plugin installed
.NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed

Installing the plugin went well. The VP menu entry in Visio is available. Problem is importing the Shapes to VP. When I click on the button to import a stencil I got the error message “There are no shapes can be imported. please install bundled/VisioSendToVP.msi to for importing shapes from Visio”.

What’s the problem here?

Thanks for your help!

Hi user,

Did you send the shapes from Visio to VP by accessing the menu in Visio resulted by installing the plugin?

Best regards,
Jick

Yes, I did so. The problem is the import function in VP itself.

Hello user,

Thank you for your reply. Please submit a bug report at the following page:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/technicalsupport.jsp

Our team will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jick