Filter view on model

Hi,

As I only have limited experience with the progam, my question is:

is it possible to allocate certain objects to a specific layer so that when I only want to discuss a certain aspect of the model I can highlight it (or even better, only the layers selected are shown and the others are not visible but still on the background)

Visio has this useful function, does visual paradigm for uml have the same. And where can I find it?

tnx

Hi Maartenve,

Thanks for your post. Actually we will support show/hide specific model type on the diagram in the future. We will first support this in Business Process Diagram (BPD), then will extend this feature to all other diagrams.
If I get any news about this issue, I;ll come back to you immediately.

If you need any help, please feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

ok then… that is a bit of a problem

is it possible to use clones of classes used in other models to form a new model? (instead of having to copy everthing and review all other models in case I made some changes to a specific class)

tnx

Hi Maartenve,

Thanks for replying. You can duplicate a model by Ctrl + E (or right-click on the model and select Duplicate in the popup menu).
Alternatively, you can copy the model, then right-click on the diagram and select “Paste As Model”. This is the same as duplicating a model.

By these ways, whatever you modify the duplicated model, the original model will not be affected.

If there is further inquiry, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

AH ok, but what if I want the original model to be affected? I do not want to change all my models if I make an adjustment in one of them.

thank you again

Hi Maartenve,

Thanks for replying. If you want to create a view of the model which will follow any changes made to its other view(s), you can:

1. copy the model and paste the model by Ctrl + V
  2. copy the model, right-click on the diagram and select Paste View in the popup menu
  3. drag the model from the Model Explorer to the diagram

If there is any question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Maartenve,

I’m sorry that I forgot to notify you about the support of show/hide model elements on diagram. In current version (VP-UML 7.0 SP1), we already support show/hide model elements not only BPD, but also other diagram types.

When you right-click on a model element, you can select Selection > Hide to hide the element. And you can re-show it by right-click on diagram and select Diagram Content > Show/Hide > Show all Diagram Elements | Show/Hide Diagram Elements… | Show by Shape Type in the popup menu.

And if you want to hide a specific type of model, please right-click on the diagram and select Diagram Content > Show/Hide > Show/Hide Diagram Elements… | Hide by Shape Type in the popup menu.

FYI, feature demo of show/hide elements on diagram can be found from at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/provides/diagramtools.jsp#showhideshapes

Hope you will find this feature useful. Please feel free to contact me if there is any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong