Hierarchical layout isn't hierarchical?

Hi,

In VP-UML, is it possible to force the “hierarchical layout” to NOT put a node and his children on the same level of the grid ?

I want to have a real hierarchical graph, even if it’s very very large.

Regards

Hello mamelouk,

I guess you are talking about the orientation of the hierarchical layout. Maybe your setting is set from left to right or right to left. You can right click on the diagram and select Layout > Customized…, then choose Hierarchical in the layout dialog and specify the orientation as top to bottom so that the parent & child node will not be put in the same level.

Best regards,
Rain Wong

Hi,

Sorry I wasn’t clear maybe but I wasn’t talking about the orientation.

In Top to Bottom orientation, with some graphs (NOT trees) a hierarchical layout will put a node and his children on the same level (ie side by side, on his left, or on his right, even if the orientation is top to bottom)

Do you want to see an example or do you see what the problem is ?

Regards

Sure, can you send me some samples?

Best regards,
Rain Wong

Here is a screenshot of what I mean:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7338/screenshotxr4.png

You see the line on the top ? a node and his child are on the same line.

HOWEVER, when I tried to change the text within the node with a single number (ie 1, 2, 3…) instead of the text there is now, the layout is really hierarchical!

so obviously there is a problem here

Thanks and our engineers tested on a similar sample but unable to repeat the problem. Would you mind send me your project file to have a look? You can send me the project at rain@visual-paradigm.com. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Rain Wong

done

any news ?

Hi mamelouk,

Sorry for late reply. Please download the build in the following link and see if it solve your problem. If there are any inquiries, please feel free to contact me.

http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200803/VP_Suite_Windows_3_2_20080206w.exe

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

hi,

it seems to work better, thanks. I’ll make a few test and I keep you up to date if there’s any problem.

regards

HI mamelouk,

You’re welcome. If there is anything else that we can do to help please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Jick