How to use > 2G max memory

Has anyone verified that setting the -Xmx and -Xms values via the info.plist actually work? I mean for values > 2G

First of all setting -Xmx > 2G does not work. The VM will never grow past 2G. I verified this with system profiling tools as well as attaching JConsole. The max heap size reported by the VM is 2G period, it doesn’t matter what the -Xmx setting is.

So, I tried setting the -Xms value to >2G so it starts with a >2G space. In this scenario VP will not even start.

Also note that the -Xms values, when <2G seem to be ignored as well. For example setting -Xms to 1G will not start the VM off at 1G of space.

I seem to remember seeing something like this before when there were 32-bit binaries w/native code and/or 32-bit JVM’s running around. You would end up getting maxed out at 2G (even though 4G was supposedly possible) and would just crash if setting higher.

So it seems that changing the settings in info.plist do not work for values >2G.

What I see from JConsole is the that in the VM arguments:
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xmx4096m -Xms2048m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dvp.launcher.version=13.1 -Xmx2048m -Djava.io.tmpdir=${installer:sys.appdataDir}/VisualParadigm/tmp -Dapple.awt.rendering=speed -Dapple.awt.graphics.UseQuartz=true -Dinstall4j.launcherId=5 -Dinstall4j.swt=false -Dexe4j.moduleName=/Applications/Visual Paradigm.app -Di4j.ownBundlePath=/Applications/Visual Paradigm.app -Di4j.jreBundle=/Applications/Visual Paradigm.app/Contents/Resources/jre.bundle

** NOTE ** That there is a first -Xmx4096 (my value) and the a SECOND with -Xmx2048 (culprit). The VM will pick up the last value so maybe this is why the 2G appears to be the limit. Whatever script produces this must be the problem.

I am on MAC OS X 10.12.2 with 128GB memory. I am using VP Pro v 14.2 build sp1_20171203