Inserting a sub-process causes diagram chaos

When I drag a sub-process from the Diagram Navigator onto my Business Process Diagram, it inserts the subprocess (expanded) and makes all sorts of changes to the layout of my diagram (presumably it thinks it’s making space for the expanded sub-process), including expanding the length and width of the pool I’m adding the sub-process to, and moving all sorts of objects and flows around, including moving objects so they are no longer on the grid. With a large diagram it can take hours to rearrange everything neatly on the diagram, get all objects and flows re-aligned with the grid etc. This is a really annoying feature. Why can’t it insert the sub-process collapsed? Or if it must be expanded, just put it on top of everything that’s there, and let the user move things out of the way. Please don’t just move all my stuff around - I’ve spent may hours arranging it the way I want it.

As a work around, is there a way to insert a sub-process without disturbing the layout of the diagram?

Thanks - Rowan

Hello Rowan,

Thanks for your message and I’ve fired a case to our engineers to study on it, and I’ll get back to you once there are any news on it. As a workaround, please drag the sub-process from Model Explorer, this will create sub-process in collapsed form. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Best regards,
Rain

Dear Rowan,

I would like to let you know the inconsistent drag & drop behavior for sub-process problem has been fixed and please run the VP Suite Update to update the software to latest patch (sp1_20110413f or later). Details about update to latest patch can be found at

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Best regards,
Rain