Instant Reverse Hangs VP and VS

Almost everytime I instant reverse a project in SDE 3.0 it will hang VP and VS.

The “Analyzing the Source File(s)” dialog box appears and it will get to the “g” in “Waiting…” or a little beyond the “…” and then it hangs.

Attached are my log files.
sdevs.log
vp.log

Could you give more detail about what language you were reversed? If possible, can you send me (angus@visual-paradigm.com) the source of the source?

The problem is clarified by the correct procedure.

I am experiencing the exact same issue. The reply from angus didn’t seem to be very helpful - what correct procedure. I found that using VP for UML I could reverse my project. However, using SDE for Visual Studio it would consistently hang even parsing a relatively simple class in a large project.

I even reproduced the hang with a simple HelloWorld MFC app. Use VS .Net 2003 project wizard to create a MFC app named HelloWorldMFC. Run Instant Reverse and select the HelloWorldMFC directory. Analyzing the Source File(s) dialog will hang within a few seconds. To make matters worse is appears the tool doesn’t handle exceptions well since the tool hangs the entire Visual Studio app requiring you to force quit the IDE.

Again, as a work-around it seems that VP for UML (the app) reverses properly. It just seems to be the SDE tool for Visual Studio that is unstable.

Dear Anonymous,

Sorry for any inconvenience the problem may cause you. We have tried but could not repeat the problem as you described. Would you mind sending me the source files for testing? You could reach me at:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Thanks for your help.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Best Regards,
Jick

As I mentioned this happens just creating a HelloWorldMFC app. I do have DevPartner (Boundschecker suite) installed on my box as well. Another one of our developers didn’t have this issue but he also didn’t have DevPartner installed. Have you tested for compatability with other Visual Studio tool plug-ins. I will try to test on a vmware instance w/o DevPartner but I don’t know when I will get to that.

In either case it sounds like an identical issue to what was reported above.

Sorry about the anonymous,

Mike Bracewell
Symantec Corp.

[quote=Jay]Almost everytime I instant reverse a project in SDE 3.0 it will hang VP and VS.

The “Analyzing the Source File(s)” dialog box appears and it will get to the “g” in “Waiting…” or a little beyond the “…” and then it hangs.

Attached are my log files.[/quote]

The proper procedure is to right click on the project in the solution explorer and then choose “Update UML Model”.

If you select “Instant Reverse” from the Modeling menu it will hang VP - that function is for something else.

“Instant Reverse” is designed for reversing an instant of source, unlike “Update UML model” which is designed for round-trip engineering (closely related between model and source code).

Normally, “Instant Reverse” will not hang VP. Hanging is an abnormal behavior. Our engineers are now investigating this problem and hope to have it resolved soon.