Instant reverse .Net: "incorrect format"

Im trying to reverse a .net .dll file put when selecting the file, the following error is shown:

Reason :
Could not load file or assembly ‘file:///.dll’ or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
at ciltoxml.CILToXML…ctor(String assemblyPath, String xmlPath)
mscorlib

I have no idea what exactly this means. I have been able to reverse a few other libraries without problems. Can anyone help me with this?

Hi user,

Thanks for your post. May I know whether there is dependent .dll for the .dll you reversed? If yes, could you please try to put all dependent .dll in same folder of the .dll you reversed and try to reverse the source again by selecting the folder that contains the .dll and dependent .dll?

I look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

It has a dependant dll which i have tested and was able to reverse without problems.

If i select the parent folder i get the following error:
Reason :
Could not load file or assembly ‘file:///’ or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.
at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
at ciltoxml.CILToXML…ctor(String assemblyPath, String xmlPath)
mscorlib

I dont see why the access would be denied. I have tried running visual paradigm for uml with administrator rights but it doesnt fix the problem and the files are not in use when trying to reverse.

Hi user,

Thanks for replying. Could you please attach the vp.log file to take a look? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi user,

Also, would you mind to send me the reversed .dll as well as its dependent .dll for investigation? Thanks in advance!
You can send your files to lilian@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

After starting, trying to reverse from the folder and closing again, this is what the log showed:

[Fri Oct 23 11:31:18 CEST 2009] [message] [Fri Oct 23 11:31:17 CEST 2009]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Standard Edition [VP-UML SE]: 7.1 (20091017)
[Fri Oct 23 11:34:15 CEST 2009] [warning] unknown setting on VPPreference: v.ifmu@1ad9e1f.DefaultHTMLDocFont

I have found a solution my self. It seamed to be an artifact of Visual Studio. Deleting the projects, adding new and then adding the existing source files to the project solved the problem, so no need to send you the files.

Thank you for the help though.

Hi user,

Thanks for replying and I’m glad that you resolves the problem. Please do not hesitate to ask if there is anything I can do to help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong