Losing tagged values when importing a Rose .mdl file

Greetings,

We’re still evaluating VP-UML and are investigating several of the import/export workflows.

We’ve been able to import our MDL into VP-UML and most things look just fine-- except that tagged values (set via the Rose “Property” mechanism) do not appear to be getting transformed/preserved. Is this something that is supported on the MDL import mechanism?

HI ebadgley,

Please provide me with a sample Rose model for us to reproduce the problem you described. Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick

Jick,

Attached is a sample. The “TaggedValues” tab appears in Rose for all of the classes in this template model, but none of the tagged values specified there show up when the .mdl is imported into VP-UML.

Hi Ellen,

I read the mdl file, but I can’t see any meaningful information about tagged values. We will check in more details and get back to you.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Ellen,

We found some tagged value set in the project, but we can’t find which model using it. Probably something is missing in the .mdl file.

Best regards,
Jick

Jick,

I apologize for the delay in responding to this.

The Rose .mdl file indeed does not contain a root Model element-- it’s a template that we use to build further models for use with the ESRI Geodatabase Schema Wizard. However, I sent it along because it does contain tagged values / property sets for classes (FeatureClass) and fields (Field) as well as others.

Please let me know if you need another example, and I’ll see what I can provide.

Hi Ellen,

As far as we know, the information about tagged value is not applying to any models in the .mdl file you sent us. That’s why we are unable to import any tagged value.

Best regards,
Jick

I take it, then, that tagged values have to be applied to a model element to be imported? In Rose it is possible to create new properties/property sets for any type of model element (Class, Attribute, etc.) which is the approach that we take when constructing our Rose model programmatically.

Thanks,
Ellen

Hi Ellen,

Actually, the recommended practice is to create project level stereotype, assign tagged value to it, and extend the model(s) with the stereotype(s) that have tagged value assigned.

Best regards,
Jick