No swimlane in ActivityDiagramm

Hello,

i do not found the swimlane-button in the activity diagramm - also the synchronized-bar is missing. Have someone any idea?

Thanks.

chris

Hi Chris,

swimlanes have been replaced by partitions in UML 2.0. In opposite to swimlanes, partitions can be multi-dimensional. As far as I know, partitions are not yet supported by VPUML 4.0, at least not as a graphical symbol.
Another way to symbolize partitions in UML 2.0 is to note the name of the partion in round brackets () directly over the name of the node (activity symbol). So, as a workaround, you can make the patition’s name part of the name of an activity.
In VPUML 4.0, traditional swimlanes can be used in UML 1.x projects.

The synchronisation bar can be found by clicking on the decision node button. The synchronisation bar is represented by a bar with multiple incoming control flows an one outgoing control flow. This symbol is called “join node” in VPUML 4.0.

Hope, I could help you,
smotie

Hello smotie,

thanks a lot for your help.

I found the “join node” - but only in vertical position - not in horizontal position. And there is no way to turn the symbol. Also others like the incoming signal. Do you know how it works?

Thank you.
chris

Hi Chris,

I neither found the join node in horizontal position. In UML 2.0 projects there are two different symbols.
The incoming signal symbol is hidden behind the “action”-icon. Generally, all icons of the tool bar with a black triangle in the right lower corner provide a list of other icons.

greetings,
smotie

Hey smotie,

well, i will take the fork/join in vertikal position. I hope that this will fit.

Thanks.
chris

Dear Chris and Smotie,

In the next release Join/Fork will be able to change orientation.

Regards,

Antony.

I agree semantically, but the UML 2.0 reference says (under ‘activity partition’ ): "The activity nodes within an activity may be organised into partitions, often called swimlanes…"
I think the point is that, whatever you call them they are missing. I’ve taken to making the activity nodes different colours so it’s possible for the reader to distinguish responsibility boundaries. IT’S A PAIN IN THE A**E!
I didn’t know there was a way of specifying UML 1.x constructs though, maybe that’s how I can get round it.

Dear Paul,

Yes, ActivityPartition replaces Swimlane in UML 2.0, but the current version of VP-UML does not support it yet. It will be supported in the later version. To draw UML 1.x diagrams, you need to select UML 1.x in the New Project dialog box. Hope this can help.

Regards,

Antony.

Dear All,

VP-UML 4.1 and SDE 2.1 is released. Which fixed the problems mentioned in this thread: Fork and Join can now change its orientation and the support for ActivityPartition in UML 2.0 is added.

Regards,

Antony.