Organising Diagrams

Hi all,

Does anybody know whether it’s possible to organise diagrams into anything like sub-folders? At the moment, I’m really looking to organise my class diagrams.

e.g. At the moment, I have about 13 class diagrams. 3 of them describe the same namespace of classes - just spread across 3 different diagrams. I’d like to be able to ‘group’ them together somehow, but I can’t see any options for doing so.

…it would perhaps be enough if I could re-order how the class diagrams are listed, then I could list them next to each-other. But I can’t see an option for that either…

Any hints / tricks / tips? Or is this something that can’t be done?

Thanks,
Rich

Have you tried using the model view Tools|View|Panes. I create a universe model and then create packages within that so that diagrams and other model data are grouped in a hierarchy.

Thanks for the reply macroba1.

[quote=macroba1]
Have you tried using the model view Tools|View|Panes. [/quote]
What do you mean by this? At first, I thought you meant a menu item Tools → View → Panes, but there isn’t one… I can see the menu item View → Panes, but this just seems to open up the various windows in the application…

I create a universe model and then create packages within that so that diagrams and other model data are grouped in a hierarchy.

I’ve created packages, and my classes are grouped under packages. But I can’t see a way to group diagrams into packages. i.e. in the ‘Diagram Navigator’ - under ‘Class Diagram’ - instead of one big list of diagrams, it would instead organise them by package…
If I could do that, then that would certainly do what I’m aiming for.

I have found an option to order the class diagrams by their name, so at the moment I’m just making sure my package (i.e. namespace) structure is present in the class diagram names. Which is OK - better than before :wink:

But if you could let me know how to get diagrams grouped into packages, that’d be very handy…

What about using the Logical View pane to organise your diagrams?

Ahh - that’s exactly what I was after!
Heh - that’s my fault for not taking the time to work out what those did :wink:

Thanks…

Logical View allows me to “Add New…” and that works okay.
However, suppose I have a diagram, useCase1, which has sub diagram, activity1, which I want to add to add to logicalView1. I right-click logicalView1, selecting “Add Existing Diagram…” and go through the motions. After clicking ok, nothing changes, and there are no changes to the log.

With other tools, I create models as sub-diagrams, then incorporate them elsewhere as necessary. Isn’t that possible with VP-UML?

Thanks

Hi glmVP,

Thank you for your post. But I am sorry to say that we are unable to reproduce your problem by following your steps. This movie demonstrate what I have done:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200803/Jick/logical_view.html

As you can see I can eventually add the sub-Activity Diagram as a diagram under the Logical View.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

Best regards,
Jick

Stupid human error (mine): I didn’t check the box.

Work fine, Thanks.

Hi glmVP,

Nevermind. If you have any suggestion feel free to let us know. :smiley: :smiley:

Best regards,
Jick