Reverse engineer MS Access through JDBC

I am using an evaluation copy of VP for UML (PE) v5.2, and I am attempting to reverse engineer an MS Access database through JDBC.

After selecting the JDBC-ODBC driver and providing all the details (url= jdbc:odbc:databasename) VP processes the database through the ODBC connection. However, after going through the ‘Analyzing the source file(s)’ and ‘Instant reverse succesfull’ windows, no classes are to be found under ‘Model’ or ‘Class repository’.

To check this is not an JDBC/ODBC problem, I attemped to provide the instant reverse with a false ODBC name, which did indeed generate an error.
I have tried 3 seperate database (all containing relations), but have not yet been succesfull at reverse engineering an MS Access database.

I have read the documentation and went through the forums, but I cant pinpoint what I am doing wrong. Am I missing something?

Hi arn,

Thanks for your report. Could you send me the log flie for checking? You could find the vp.log file uder the bin directory of VP Suite installation directory. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Jick

Log header:

e: Visual Paradigm for UML Professional Edition
e: 5.2
[Thu Feb 16 09:14:09 CET 2006]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Professional Edition [VP-UML PE]: 5.2 (20060214b)
Open old version project from 20050727 to 20051230
Starting analyzing database...

The following error repeats itself for every table in the database:

Cannot retrieve table :ACTIVE_INDICATOR_LOOKUP
java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function
	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(Unknown Source)
	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(Unknown Source)
	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLForeignKeys(Unknown Source)
	at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDatabaseMetaData.getCrossReference(Unknown Source)
	at v.chw.i(:206)
	at v.chw.f(:107)
	at v.chw.i(:54)
	at v.baa.d(:66)
	at v.gtp.run(Unknown Source)

My apoligies, I forgot to login. The above reply is obviously mine :slight_smile:

Thanks arn, I am going to pass the log to our engineers for further investigation.

That was a quick reply :slight_smile:
tia

Hi arn,

The bug is now fixed. Please download the hotfix at:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200602/HotFix/20060222d/vpplatform.jar

This article shows you how to install the hotfix:
http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/tips_and_tricks/general/replacing_hot_fix.html

If there are any questions with the fix, please feel free to post again.

Best Regards,
Jick

Apoligies for the delayed responds. My XP installation got corrupted, and to top it off my XP cdrom had some scratches.

I am pleased to say that the hotfix does succesfully produce classes after reverse engineering. I do not however see the relations that excist in the database, is this an expected result? This screenshot suggests relations are produced as well.

Thanks again for the quick responds.

P.S.: I’ll include the log to be complete, but it doesnt shed much light on this I am afraid;

[Thu Mar 02 22:32:42 CET 2006]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Professional Edition [VP-UML PE]: 5.2 (20060222d)
Starting analyzing database...
Stereotype name is null in ensureHasStereotype

Hi arn,

For my understanding, this is the expected result. I will discuss with our engineers to confirm this.

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi arc,

I confirmed with our engineers. It is a limitation of the driver.

Best Regards,
Jick

Oh well, cant be helped then :slight_smile:

Thank you (and the engineers) for the quick responses, really appreciate this level of support.