SDE for Eclipse not working

I have tried to install the Community and Professional editions of the SDE for eclipse 2.1 under Win2K with j2sdk1.4.2_03 and never managed to get either working properly. This is not very encouraging for what appears to be an impressive product.

The Community edition installs successfully but once eclipse is running, taking the Open UML option as explained in the documentation consistently hangs eclipse.

The situation is almost identical with the Professional edition. It installs successfully, I enter the evaluation licence key and follow the documented steps. Yet again, eclipse is hanging.

In both cases, the task manager does not show the application as “not responding” or taking 100% CPU but it is totally unresponsive. There is no resource shortage or anything else strange happening on the system. I have left it for 10 minutes on ocassions to see what happens, but nothing.

Of course I have tried the above procedures several times, with uninstalls and reboots to clear things down in between, but absolutely no success.

Has anyone else managed to get this thing working properly? It looks like many install problems go unanswered on this forum so I certainly can’t justify laying out 700 bucks for what I’ve seen so far. I think I will be using the FREE UML tool from the eclipse project (http://www.eclipse.org/uml2/) if I get no luck from this forum.

-Neil

Dear Neil,

Have you tried using the “NoInstall” zip file to install SDE for Eclipse?

Regards,

Antony.

Antony

I have now downloaded the “NoINstall” zip file and extracted it according to the instructions.

However, when I look in the extracted folder the file specified in the instructions (Visual Paradigm for UML.exe) does not exist, and it doesn’t exist in any subdirectories.

Please tell me how the “NoInstall” zip can be installed.

Thanks and regards

-Neil

Dear Neil,

I think you have read the “No Install” instructions for VP-UML but not for SDE-EC. The way to extract the program files are the same, but the way to start up the program is different. You can find detailed instructions on how to install SDE for Eclipse using “No Install”, and how to verify you have installed it successfully in the following web page:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/edocs.php?url=content/product/sde/sdeec/sdeecUserGuide/html/appendixa.html&resourceType=document&resourceDetail=sdeecUserGuide

Regards,

Antony.