Sequence Diagram Message Types

Dear All,

Could somebody please explain the difference between the following message types in sequence diagrams: start, call and sequence (an example would be greatly appreciated).

Regards,
George

I see that you already inquired about this issue.

Having read that discussion and doing a quick research on my end, I can’t say I know what the differences are between the messages types you mentioned although I assume you meant Send instead of Start since that is what you mentioned in your previous post.

I looked at the referenced specifications document and I see no mention of a send or sequence message interaction type. My assumption is that they are all call messages since they are also depicted that way in VPUML. I see where you’re coming from questioning whether these are standard UML elements.

Sorry I can’t be much help but hopefully someone will be able to shed some light into this issue.

[quote=d6chung]I see that you already inquired about this issue.

Having read that discussion and doing a quick research on my end, I can’t say I know what the differences are between the messages types you mentioned although I assume you meant Send instead of Start since that is what you mentioned in your previous post.

I looked at the referenced specifications document and I see no mention of a send or sequence message interaction type. My assumption is that they are all call messages since they are also depicted that way in VPUML. I see where you’re coming from questioning whether these are standard UML elements.

Sorry I can’t be much help but hopefully someone will be able to shed some light into this issue.[/quote]

I did, but got no reply so I thought I would try again. These different types of messages appear on the tools pane if you choose to do a sequence diagram in Visual Paradigm. My students always ask what are the differences since you won’t find the messages in any UML textbook (at least, not the ones I looked at and I looked at quite a few of them).

If there is no difference, why are they there? If there is a difference, could somebody please explain?