Shapes and captions display problems

Hello,

I have some troubles with making my finished Business Process Diagram look “more nice”.

In attached picture there are 4 gateways all with the same caption, but you can see that each gateway has its caption positioned differently. I have can’t seem to solve this manually, it’s nearly impossible to do and takes a lot of time. Is there some function in VP which would solve this - for example, which unifies the look of all shapes of the same kind in my model, or something like this?
Also, when I change color of my gateway (as you can see in the attached picture, I changed those from orange to white) in the generated documentation they still appear in their original color. Can this be somehow fixed?

We use version 7.0, Build sp1_20090912

Thanks in advance,
best regards,
Frantisek Kotas
Caption_position_problem.JPG

Hi Frantisek Kotas,

Thanks for your post. I’ve forwarded the issue to our engineers to follow-up, and I’ll let you know once there is any feedback.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Frantisek Kotas,

In regard to having same caption position on the gateways, you can right-click on the gateway and select Presentation Options > Caption Placement to configure the position of name caption of gateway (as shown as attached image). You can also set your selection as default caption position for gateway by pressing “Set as Default for Gateway” button.

About color of gateway in generated documentation, I’m sorry that we cannot repeat the problem. Would you mind to send me your project file as the generated documentation for checking? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong
configure_caption_placement_for_gateway.png

Hello Lilian,

thanks for the advice provided so far, it helped me.

I’m sending you my project file by e-mail for further investigation. I was not precise in describing the problem about “bad color in generated documentation”, what I mean is making a report via Tools --> Report --> Generate Word Report. When I do that, picture of the diagram shows correct color (set by me), but the “Summary” part shows the default (white) color for gateways. You can try that on the sent project file.

I have another worry about the display of various parts of the diagrams. All of them can be checked on the project file I sent you and here I include two pictures. I marked the problems I see by red circles there. In picture one you can see the arrows don’t appear to be connected to the gateway - they appear to start out of nowhere outside the gateway. Similar problem can be seen on second picture - the arrows appear to start randomly in the gateway. In picture one you can also see a thick arrow which results from several arrows binding there. I’d like to have a normal sized arrow there instead of having this thick one. Also I worry about the arrows often not pointing to the exact center of the target shape (there’s several of these in picture one).

I worry about these display problems because when making final report, I have to manually correct these (which requires quite a lot of extra work) in order not to have unprofessionally looking output for our customer.

Thanks for any more advice,

best regards,
Frantisek Kotas
bad_connections_2.JPG
bad_arrows_connections.JPG

Hi Frantisek Kotas,

Thanks for replying. It’s normal that the shapes on Summary table in reports are in default color, it’s an icon of the shape type only.
By the way, if you generate HTML report (or run Project Publisher to generate web pages of your project), you can jump to model details by clicking on the shape on diagram image in HTML report.

About connector not attaching to the shape, I’ve forwarded to the engineers to follow-up. I’ll come back to you once there is any feedback.

By the way, I notice the name captions of your elements are not shown completely (as shown as attached image), but we cannot repeat such problem. If you have any idea of this problem, would you mind to tell me detailed steps for getting this result? Thanks!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong
shown_incomplete_caption.png

Hi Frantisek Kotas,

About connector not attaching to the shape, I’ve forwarded to the engineers to follow-up. I’ll come back to you once there is any feedback.

Our engineers found that most of your shapes size are not aligned to grid, providing that you enabled “Snap to Grid” on the business process diagram (BPD). Do you have any idea why your shapes do not align to grid (e.g. keep changing zoom ratio, using Sweeper/Magnet, or other possibility)? Thanks!

By the way, resize the shape a bit can restore it to align to grid.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I don’t know why shapes do not align to grid. I inspected the option and indeed have it checked. Since I did not check it, I suppose it was checked from the start of my work with the program. Otherwise, I really did only basic operations with my diagram - add/delete/move shapes and connectors, change their colors, resize them, add captions, add documentation, make report and that’s about it. I hope zooming in and out on the diagram can’t change the result. I had these problems right from the start, it only seems to be getting worse - last time I opened it it felt like the diagram “fell apart” - you already noticed the missing captions, also a lot of connectors feels even more disconnected now, shapes changed their size… Unfortunately, I can’t think of anything that could have caused these problems.

Hi Frantisek Kotas,

It’s pity that we both do not have idea of how the problem occurs, it’s impossible for us to fix the problem with unknown cause of problem. We can fix the project for you so you will have connectors follow shape center and complete captions shown. Should I fix the project in hand or you will send me another project for fixing?
If you will send me a project to fix, please send to lilian.wong@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

[quote=LilianWong]Hi Frantisek Kotas,

It’s pity that we both do not have idea of how the problem occurs, it’s impossible for us to fix the problem with unknown cause of problem. We can fix the project for you so you will have connectors follow shape center and complete captions shown. Should I fix the project in hand or you will send me another project for fixing?
If you will send me a project to fix, please send to lilian.wong@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Lilian Wong[/quote]

Hello Lilian Wong,

that’s very kind of you, thank you. If possible, please fix the one I sent you. Is the fix something that needs to be done programaticaly or can it be done in VP? Just to know for possible use in the future. Thanks again,
best regards,
Frantisek Kotas

Hi Frantisek Kotas,

Thanks for replying. I’m sorry that the problem cannot be fixed in application. Our engineers fixed the problem for you and I’ve sent it to your email address, please have a check.

It will be great if you have any idea of how this problem occurs (steps will be greatly helpful), so we can fix and avoid such problem in the future.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong