Significant loss in Visio import

I have a large number of Visio diagrams from around the company that I’d like to centralize in VP. The ERD diagrams seem to import fine. However, there appears to be no way to get block diagrams using rectangles and smart connectors into VP, regardless of diagram type I try. When I attempt it:

a) A substantial number (up to 75% in some cases) of the rectangles simply don’t appear in the import list and, as might be expected, are missing in the final diagram.

b) A large number of the connectors are set to “Not Import”, probably due to the missing nodes, and regardless of whether I change that setting or not, do not import.

I cut one diagram down to simply 2 rectangles with a connector between them. One of the rectangles was all that could be imported.

Is there any way to get around this? It would be an enormous effort to re-enter all these diagrams.

I’m using VP for UML 9.0 and Visio 2010.

Hello tdeffler,

Thank you for your message. Since Visio is quite a “flexible” drawing tool, sometimes it is not quite tight on the syntax so sometimes it may affect the import result. I suggest you send us your Visio file so that our team can study it and see can import it. You can send the files to support-team@visual-paradigm.com. Please make sure you include the URL for this forum post so that we can have better follow-up to your case. Feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Best regards,
Rain Wong