SOME questions

Hello! I got some questions…

1. What is the purpose of package diagrams? VP allows creation of two kinds of packages (in the toolbar near the diagram, one is under ‘package’ and the other is under ‘common’): wich is the difference? What are ‘Subsystems’?

2. For my project, I will create requirement diagrams and then use case digrams: use cases will be connected someway to requirements (for traceability: each use case derives from one or plus requirements). Is it possible to see automathically all the connections of this kind to build a traceability matrix? Is there a DB I can interrogate?

3. Does VP implement any kind of syntax control? How can I enable it?

Thank you so much… Sorry if questions are not easy to understand, if you need explanations please ask.

Greetings

Hi Lidia,

Thanks for your post. For your questions:

1. There is no difference between the packages under “Package” and “Common” (we put packages under Common so that user can manage their models into packages in a more convenient way).
    Subsystem is a variation of package, which is a stereotyped component that represent independent, behavioral units in a system.

2. You can define use case details for you use cases, then create Textual Analysis as sub-diagram of the use case. After that, the description in the use case details will be copied as textual statements in Textual Analysis, and you can create requirement candidates/models from the textual statements (description of use case details).
    You can get more details in the following links:

Use Case Details
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/demos/umlsupport/usecasedetail.jsp
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/demos/umlsupport/flowofevent.jsp

Textual Analysis
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/demos/requirements/activityta.jsp (this shows how to create activity models from textual analysis, but it is similar for creating requirement models)

And can you explain more about “Is there a DB I can interrogate?” ? Thanks!

1. We support real-time syntax checking, you will see a forbidden sign when you are going to draw something not conform to syntax.

If there is any further inquiry, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Dear Lilian,

Thank you for your answers.

A DB means a data base containing all the elements of my project (objects, relations between objects and so on) from wich I can automatically extract informations I need (such as ‘all the ralations between requirements and use cases’) by using a programming language or something like that.

Some other questions I would like to ask you:

1. Is there a way to perform configuration management (check out, update…) also on files that are stored outside the tool, just added to some class as references? (like source code or schematics…) I guess not, but just tried to ask…

2. Is it possible to lock some parts of a project in way that only one person is able to work on it?

Thank you for your patience, greetings

Lidia

Hi Lidia,

Sorry for my late reply. We do not store the elements in any database but in our own format, you can get the information you want through OpenAPI (based on Java).

1. We are sorry that we do not support this since we cannot commit the external referenced files.

2. We are sorry that we do not support locking project.

If there is any further inquiry, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong