Source code repositiories

(Might have to be moved to a more relevant forum)

Folks,

I have just had an email in from our developers who are asking if it is possible for VP to support the GIT repo rather than SVN. I have seen that someone was looking at writing a plug in with the OpenAPI but they dont seem to have posted for a while as to the status.

Although we are happily using SVN at the moment, we have to move our repo in a month or so to a different server, having read http://martinfowler.com/bliki/VcsSurvey.html our devs are currently looking at GIT.

Any chance of some feedback?

Many thanks

Toby

Hi Toby,

Sorry for my late response. We are sorry hat we do not have plan to support GIT at the moment. You can try to integrate VP with GIT with OpenAPI on yourself, but we cannot guarantee the result.

Please let us know if you have any further inquiry.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi,
I’m a student in Australia and our team uses Visual Paradigm to design our project. We use Git as the VCS and I would really like to see Git in Visual Paradigm as for right now we can’t see any changes or merge the project file.

For us a distributes VCS like Git offers a lot of advantages, the most important is that we can work off-line on the repository (i.e. commit, see the log, branch).

I hope you consider to add support for Git.

Hi Devent,

Thanks for your post. We will keep users’ request of Git support as a record and we will review it in the future. We are thankful for all kind suggestions from users! :slight_smile:

By the way, as you are a student, I would like to introduce our Academic Partner Program. Educational institutions participating in this program will be entitled to course-based license(s) for the Standard Edition for free, provided that the software is solely used for teaching.
I suggest that you recommend this program to your professor so that you can have a free license for your studies. More details about the program can be found at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/partner/academic/index.jsp

Should you have any further inquiry, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I’m study in TAFE Ultimo NSW.
They have already installed this semester Visual Paradigm on our PCs and in a few weeks they will have an education license for it. I guess they already using the Academic Partner Program.

Hi Devent,

Thanks for replying. Please feel free to have a post if you have any question again.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hello Toby,

If you are still looking for possible means of using Git for a repository in Visual Paradigm, it is quite a possibility. The only downside is that you do infact have to use the provided Open API to bridge the gap. If you wish to do so, I would highly recommend looking into JGit/EGit (up and running project) or JavaGit (appears to have died or merged into JGit).

The JGit library provides most of Git’s functionality using their Java library.

At the moment I have created in depth commit functionality to keep track of vpp files over time. However when I started developing my plugin the JGit project had not matured and was very basic and cumbersome to utilize. My plugin is about 80% reliant on java and 20% reliant on Git binary files.

Just thought I’d let you know that it is possible, just requires time.

Thank you,

Michael Lantz

OpenAPI_Git Commit.jpg