Suppress field comments when generating db or exporting

We generate ddl for multiple databases and have added extensive text in the “Documentation” form for each column. Great to have documentation on every field! We’re not able to generate a MySQL database because of the column comments being used with the “Documentation” content.

Unfortunately some databases don’t support extended column comments and are failing when we generated the database or use the ddl that DB Architect generates. One of the databases, MySQL 5.1, only supports ~62 characters.

Is there an option to suppress the creation of column comments when generating ddl?
We have resorted to editing the ddl to remove column comments, but am hoping there is a simple option/fix.

Cheers,

-M-

Hi M,

Thanks for your post. I’ve forwarded this issue to our engineers already, and we plan to provide an option for generate column comments or not, and it will be available in next 2 weeks.

If there is any inquiry, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi M,

I would like to let you know that our engineers already implemented the option for generate comments or not to database, you can download the patch from the following link to try. You can turn the option on/off in the Database Code Generation dialog (as attached image).

http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200905/Patch/20090525f/VP_Suite_MacOSX_4_0_20090525f.dmg

Best regards,
Lilian Wong
generate_comment_option.png

Fantastic response, exactly what we needed!

I’ve generated ddl for MySQL that looks good.

Cheers,

-M-

Hi M,

That’s good! Please feel free to have a post again if you need any help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong