UCM key elements

Hi all,

I am new to using UCM.

Please correct me if I am wrong,

As far as I understand a UCM is used to describe the functional requirements of a project.

A use case could turn out to be a class.

If there is an exception or a special case in a use case it would use another use case with an “extends” relationship.

If a use case has to use another use case before continuing it should use “uses”. I am still too confused about this one. Any tips or links to help me understand this “uses” use would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Thank you for your inquiry. A use case is used to describe the goal of a user needed to be fulfilled for the system under developed, it is similar to a particular function of a system that can achieve a particular user’s goal. (for example, a “withdraw” function in an ATM system is normally one of the goal to be achieved by an ATM machine, definitely not for an login function, as no one will login into the account an go away without any further actions, thus, a login Use Case is a use case instead of a base use case itself) By analyzing the detail description of a use case, you will be able to elaborate it into sequence diagrams and subsequently identify high level classes from each of those scenarios.

The “extend” relationship specifies the behavior of a use case may be extended by the behavior of another use case. Usually the extended use case will add extra behavior to the base use case. This extension takes place at one or more specific extension point.

For a use case that requires the logic of another use case, it should be modeled as an include use case using an “include” relationship.

BTW, I suggest you could read our book for details on the topic of use case modeling. Our book, written by VP’s founder entitled “Object-Oriented Technology: from Diagram to Code with Visual Paradigm for UML” provides more detailed description on use case modeling and how can it be done in using VP’s products. Download the sample chapters at:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/special/requestootsamplechapters.jsp

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
Rain

Thanks for your reply Rain. Sounds like this book will give me a systematic process to translate requirements to fully implemented classes.

That’s what I was looking for. Take requirements; turn them to a UCM, then to another model such as activity diagrams, use patterns where applicable, etc… Until all classes are built and have an association and ready to be typed as code.

If you have any other links or books please let me know.

Thanks,

You are welcome. Currently I don’t have links for other book. If you need any help, please let me know!

Best regards,
Rain