Update Project version

I have an urgent need regarding the Check-In features of VP-UML with Teamwork Server.
The last version of project on Teamwork Server was version 4. Then, I want update that version with one that derive from version 1 (I done many changes offline) without merging with the changes done from version 2 to 4.
I try to checkin my local project’s version without doing checkout.
Teamwork Server have generated Version 5 (without asking for resolve conflicts) but have merged the changes with version 4.
How can I do to overwrite project in Teamwork Server keeping previous versions and avoiding merging?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,

Let me clarify your need first. Do you mean that, you want to checkin your work to OVERWRITE the latest version in server, BUT you do not want any changes to be merged from the latest version from server? It is quite rare in a team working environment, as different members are responsible for different area of changes, and it is important to keep the working copy as latest as possible. As, if it is possible to let a member to overwrite the latest version, others work will be lost.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
I confirm that I need to OVERWRITE the latest version in server and I need this update is total with NO changes to be merged from the latest version.
I agree that this is dangerous but otherwise I can’t “rollback” changes easily. I can do it only by “undoing” changes manually or deleting project totally and recreating it from the version that I want upload.

Best regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,

Thank you for your reply. Then, in what way your work will be merged with other members work? It seems that you want to store your works in different versions, but without being affecting from other people’s work in any way, which is not the principal of Teamwork Server.

Merging, conflict resolution are all for team working. For your case, I think that you need to save it into different files, each for one ‘version’.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
Normally I merge my work with the one of other members.

Often I work offline at customer’s house and sometimes customer’s request “rollback” the changes done in 1 or 2 previous versions so I need to owerwrite last version without merging. This function may be available to members with “high” privileges (e.s.: I’m administrator)

It’s an occasional need but when it happen become critical.

An other similar question: can I remove last version or recover a old version (e.s: my last version is 9 and I need resume version 7)?

Thank you again.
Best regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,

Thank you for your explanation. We understand your need now. That means, you, the administrator, want to overwrite the project in server with your local project, which act like reverting to a previous version (since your project has not been committed to server for some while). Am I correct? I regret that we do not support this now. But I have discussed with our developers, we agree that your need does make sense. We will support it later on. Thank you for your post!

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
you are correct.

There is a workaround to obtain the owerwrite that I need?

Best regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,

Yes, as I know there is a tricky way to make it work. Let me ask our engineers for more detail first. I will post again as soon as I can.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi marco,

The workaround will work in this way:

Assuming that you checked out the version 2, then someone else has made modifications and checkins, now the latest version become version 5. With the workaround, we will DISCARD version 3, 4, 5 and make version 2 the latest one. Then, you commit your local copy (version 2 + the changes you made) to the server.

If you think this is alright, please submit a ticket to our support team at the following URL:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/technicalsupport.jsp

Our team will hold an online meeting to help you make this change.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
waiting for this functionality I have choosed to create a new project mainteining a backup of the old one to have the history.

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,
Marco

Hi Marco,

Not at all. If you need our help in future, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
Jick