I’m using VP 6.2 (20080125) and have a couple of questions and user interface issues which are spoiling an otherwise great experience with this product.
Why does the “fit size” feature only adjust the co-ordinates of the bottom-right vertex of a shape? It would be better if all sides were changed so that the outer shape centres on its contents.
Also with “fit size”, it doesn’t seem to take connector lines into account for the bounding box: it ends up with lines being partially outside the containing shape.
Dragging shapes can cause connector lines to be incorrectly skewed. An example: use input/output parameter nodes around an activity then place a number of actions inside it. Connect the actions together and one or two of them to the input/output nodes. If I select all actions (but not the containing activity) and drag them around, all of the connectors in the diagram become offset while I’m dragging. All of them are offset or translated by the same amount and in the same direction. When I let go of the mouse, the connector lines are no longer rendered adjacent to their actions, but sometimes when changing the size of the activity container, the lines snap back into their correct places.
This can be reproduced every time if I include one of the parameter nodes in the selection before dragging. However, it seems to occasionally happen when I haven’t done so… either I’m selecting one by accident and not noticing, or for some reason the parameter node isn’t being highlighted properly.
If I split a connector line inside an activity, the circles don’t seem to be added as a child of the activity: if I move the activity around, the circles are not moved relative to the activity; they remain in the same place.
Let me know if you need further examples or screenshots showing these glitches.
Thank you for your suggestion on fit size. We will consider support this in the future. About the dragging shapes skewed connector problem, and split connector issue, our engineers tested on it but still cannot repeat the problem. Would you mind send me some sample projects to repeat this problem? Looking forward to hear your reply.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Please find the demo attached. I tried to send it with a private message first, but the forum doesn’t seem to allow attachments that way?
There are three activity diagrams:
Hmm, I try again with the files…
Thank you for the steps and project. With your help, we could produce the problems. Our engineers are now investigating in detail.
By the way, steps for #01 looks unusual. Why do you select both the Parameter and Action to move? Was it a wrong selection, or you really want to achieve something by selecting and moving both of them? I thought you would either select the Parameter node or the actions to move.
Thanks for the response. I’m glad you’ve managed to reproduce the problems and I look forward to hearing back.
Regarding #01, it’s not a normal workflow that I use; I discovered it as a side effect of the following. If I want to move a lot of actions around, sometimes I do CTRL+A then deselect the objects that I don’t want to move. The parameter nodes got caught up in the net, which exposed this issue.
Thank you for your reply. I would like to inform you that problem #1 and #2 are fixed. I’ve sent you an Email with the download URL of the patch.
#3 takes a longer period of time to get fixed. I will inform you again once it is ready.
If there’s anything else I can help you with please let me know.
Great, I can confirm that #1 and #2 are fixed here. Thanks for the fast turnaround : - )