Visual Paradigm crash on linux

Hi,
the reason I wrote this post is the continuous and non-deterministic crashes of the latest version of Visual Paradigm 6.0 (Build sp1_20070302). The problem arises both with the no-install version and with the other one. When Vp quits there is no error message. In the vp.log file (under $Vp_install_dir/bin) there are only warnings like this:

[Sat Mar 10 19:20:20 CET 2007] [message] [Sat Mar 10 19:20:18 CET 2007]: Start Visual Paradigm for UML Community Edition [VP-UML CE]: 6.0 (sp1_20070302)
[Sat Mar 10 19:20:24 CET 2007] [message] /usr/share/themes/IndustrialTango/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:49:
[Sat Mar 10 19:20:24 CET 2007] [message] Engine "industrial" is unsupported, ignoring
[Sat Mar 10 19:20:24 CET 2007] [message] /usr/share/themes/IndustrialTango/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:58:
[Sat Mar 10 19:20:24 CET 2007] [message] Engine "industrial" is unsupported, ignoring
[Sat Mar 10 19:20:24 CET 2007] [message] /usr/share/themes/IndustrialTango/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:123:

[Environmental details]

JVM : Sun JRE 1.5.0
Linux 2.6.17-11-generic
Dist Ubuntu 6.10

Any suggestion about how to solve this problem?
Thanks.

Hello sbatman,

Do you find the VM log inside the bin folder of VP Suite? It should be named as hs_err_pid####.log. Could you send me that file? Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]Hello sbatman,

Do you find the VM log inside the bin folder of VP Suite? It should be named as hs_err_pid####.log. Could you send me that file? Thank you.

Best regards,
Jick[/quote]

The only log file I see in the $VP_install_dir/bin folder is vp.log. :shock:

Hello sbatman,

Is the project big? Are you able to repeat the problem with any steps?

Best regards,
Jick

I am sorry for not having replied this post, but I was quite busy. However, the problem arises apart from project’s bigness (it arises on new projects with only one diagram too) and I have noticed that there is a gnome-panel freeze before every VP crash (and on my linux box there is a gnome-panel freeze only when VP is in execution).
Do you need any gnome log file?

Hello sbatman,

I think that the problem is caused by running under Gnome. We will arrange testing on this environment asap. Thank you for your reply.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi, I want just to give you another information that could be useful to understanding the problem. I’ve just noticed that when VP crashes the respective process go on running. In other words, all the VP windows disappear in the desktop environment but VP does not really quit: in the output of a

ps -efa | grep VP

given after the VP crash, i see the VP starting command process (the VP launcher -I suppose-).
if you want, I can send you the output of a

ps -efa | grep VP 

after the VP crash.

Furthermore, when VP crashes, only its main window disappears: any other VP window (for example, a specification window for a class) that I have opened before the crash remains active and visible

PS I have also tried to replace the jre dir under VP_SUITE_INSTALL_DIR with a symlink to the jre installed on my system but anything is changed :frowning:

Hello sbatman,

Sorry for my late reply. First, please advance to the latest release by running the product updater inside $vp-suite-install-dir/bin, and try again.

If the problem persists, please try replace the $vp-suite-install-dir/jre with the jre folder of JRE 1.4. If you do not have JRE 1.4, I can arrange one for you.

Please let me know if it works.

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]Hello sbatman,

Sorry for my late reply. First, please advance to the latest release by running the product updater inside $vp-suite-install-dir/bin, and try again.

If the problem persists, please try replace the $vp-suite-install-dir/jre with the jre folder of JRE 1.4. If you do not have JRE 1.4, I can arrange one for you.

Please let me know if it works.
[/quote]

Hi jick,
using the VP latest relase there is no gnome-panel freeze but the VP crashes persist. So I have replaced $vp-suite-install-dir/jre with the jre folder of JRE 1.4.2, as you have suggested. VP seems to work fine now :slight_smile:
Thank you very much, Jick :wink:

Hello sbatman ,

Great. If possible, please stay at JDK version 1.4. We believe that it wouldn’t be a problem. If you want, You may try with JDK 1.6 as well.

Best regards,
Jick