VP-UML 5 or SDE for Eclipse 3?

Hi,

I’ve evaluated the enterprise versions of VP-UML 5 and SDE for Eclipse 3 for a month now. But I’m not able to decide which version is the better one.

VP-UML is my favorite one but syncing the code automatically with Eclipse (Eclipse 3.1 on WinXP SP2) doesn’t work, so I’ve to update it manually everytime I switch to Eclipse.

SDE EC syncs automatically but there are some problems about the ui-handling. Examples: 1.) I have to push the expand button in the diagram navigator two times to expand the selected diagram. 2.) After changing a class or interface in the class diagram, select another one and then click “Select in Code” the changed classes java-file is activated instead of the selected class. It happens also if I click the tab of that selected file directly. After clicking the tab the changed file is automatically activated and will be synchronized with the model.

I think VP-UML is a bit more stable then SDE EC, isn’t it? So I would buy that one. But what’s your experience with VP-UML 5 / SDE for Eclipse 3?

Tim

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your message.

We are sorry Auto Synchronization feature is not available to the IDE Integration. So pressing the buttons to trigger to synchronization is necessary.

For the SDE-EC, we are sorry that we cannot reproduce the expend diagram tree problem. Could you please tell me more details about your problem, such as any steps that you reproduce the problem? Thanks in advance!

The Select in Code problem is caused by the Auto Synchronization being turned on. When this option is on, the synchronization will be performed when switch between the diagram and code panes and overrides the Select in Code. I’ve forwarded this problem to our engineers to follow-up. Once there are any feedbacks, I’ll comeback to you immediately.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,
Rain