VP-UML + Linux Thread

Please post VP-UML “Downloading and Installation” questions regarding Linux here. Also, please supply further details about your setup (distribution, VP-UML version, error messages etc).

Thanks in advance.

Martyn

When you installed Java, did you install the RPM version or the self extraction version?

Also, which glibc version are you using?

yes i do:
declare -x JAVA_BINDIR="/usr/lib/java/jre/bin"
declare -x JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/java/jre"
declare -x JAVA_ROOT="/usr/lib/java"
declare -x JRE_HOME="/usr/lib/java/jre"
declare -x PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/opt/kde2/bin:/usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/gnome/bin:."
josepma@josepma:>java -version
java version "1.4.2_01"
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.4.2_01-b06, mixed mode)

Did you set the path for java? If not, you would be using the standard java which is supplied in Suse 8.1

The problem is that no installation are completed.
My SuSe have: - libc.so.6
- java 1.4.2
- gcc 3.2
- gzip 1.3
- available space 11Gb
Install in user mode, not root.
execute: chmod +x vpumlce_20030915.bin
./vpumlce_20030915.bin

*it seems not unpack the intaller.zip and not execute the java installer…?

The problem is that no installation are completed.
My SuSe have: - libc.so.6

Sorry, I understand your problem now.

This appears to be an error with Java 1.3 on Linux (Suse 8.1 and Redhat 8.0). Installing and using Java 1.4 or later usually fixes the problem.

Can you please explain more about your Suse install?

I want to install VP-UML-CE 15-09-2003 for a SuSe Linux 8.1 but it fails whith this:

Preparing to install…
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive…
Unpacking the JRE…
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive…
Configuring the installer for this system’s environment…
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer…

rm: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
rm: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

• from a RPM package whith a rpm -Uhv order.

I think that may be the problem.

Usually when you install the RPM version of JDK it installs to the following directory:
/usr/java/j2sdk<version_number>

• from a RPM package whith a rpm -Uhv order.

I will try uninstall all java and reinstall again.

You may want to try upgrading your glibc. Although I still cannot understand why the installer does not work…

According to a few pages in google, the problem seems to be associated with Java 1.3 (which was my initial thought) until you told me that you installed the JDK1.4.2_01.

Can you tell me if your JDK install was from an RPM or self extracted version?

maybe because it isn’t the correct path in ld.so.conf.
I’m into ld.so.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw95
/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linux/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib=libc5
/usr/i486-linux-libc6/lib=libc6
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
/usr/i386-suse-linux/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/openwin/lib
/opt/kde/lib
/opt/kde2/lib
/opt/kde3/lib
/opt/gnome/lib
/opt/gnome2/lib

But /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib=libc5
/usr/i486-linux-libc6/lib=libc6
don’t exist in my tree directory

Yes, i do that

Why d i have problems with libc?

To run the program you type:

./Visual_Paradigm_for_UML_Community_Edition

You must include the fullstop and forward slash.

Hi martyn

Now i’m installed the vpuml jar version, this is ok.
the glibc version is 2.2.5-152
and fails the launcher saying:
Visual_Paradigm_for_UML_Community_Edition>Visual_Paradigm_for_UML_Community_Edition

/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I found the solution, it’s here:
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/pthomas_install_anywhere.html
I do that and works.

Thanks martyn