VP_UML: problem with the Model (kind of package) elements in the model tree

HI.

VP_UML exibit a strange behavior when mixing Model and Packages in the model tree: Lets create a Model named “SRS” then a model “Requirements” inside SRS, then a package “Functional requirements” inside Requirement. Then lets create a new Requirement Diagram inside the Functional requirements package. Boum, VP_UML created a new serie of package duplicating the hierarchy of Model.
The Requirement Diagram itself and the objects created in it appears visualy under the “Model” hierarchy but they are stored probably under the “Package” hierarchy because if I delete the apparently empty Functional requirement package in the “Package” hierarchy then the Requirement Diagram and its contained objects are marked as pertainng to the default package.
Isn’t there a problem with the way VP_UML handle Model in the model tree ?
I’m using VP_UML version 6.0 Build 20070211.

ZartC

Hello ZartC,

Thank you for your post. I am able to reproduce the problem you have. but I would like to ask a question to make sure my steps are correct - When creating a Requirement Diagram to the “Functional requirements” package, did you do this by adding a Subdiagram to the “Functional requirements” package through the model tree?

Anyway, I will also inform our developers about this problem first.

Best regards,
Jick

did you do this by adding a Subdiagram to the “Functional requirements” package through the model tree?

Absoluly.

I used to create diagrams from the Diagram Navigator, but I abandoned this technique some time ago because all diagrams and hence all modelling elements I drew inside, took place in the so called default package. This create a mess in the default package and makes it harder to separate analysis classes from design classes unless I took the time to move every modelling element inside Packages (and Models) by hand.

ZartC

Hello Zart,

I wonder if the ‘package header’ function can solve part of your problem. I prepared a move to show you how to work with it. Please watch at:

http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200703/Jick/package-header.htm

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Zart,

This problem is fixed in Service Pack 2, which was released last Saturday. Please upgrade to the new version first. You can upgrade by running the product updater inside the bin folder of VP Suite installation directory.

You may find the structure is now different from SP1. I hope this is what you needed.

Best regards,
Jick