VP4.0 and activity diagrams

In VP4.0 I’m not able to create sub-actions in activity diagrams? Is there something I am missing? Any help appreciated on how to accomplish this.

Sincerely,
Patrick Holthuizen

Dear Patrick,

Do you mean SubActivity? As SubActivity is a notation in UML version 1.x, you need to create a UML 1.x project, and then you can draw SubActivity in Activity Diagram.

Regards,

Antony.

Dear Antony,

Okay, everything works fine in UML 1.x so thanks.

But just out of interest how do I realize diagram grouping using UML 2.0 with VP?

Dear Patrick,

Are you referring to something like Swimlane? It becomes ActivityParition in UML 2.0, which is not currently supported in VP-UML 4.0. It will be supported in the future release.

Regards,

Antony.

Dear Antony,

Thank you for your responses.

No I am not referring to swimlanes. What I mean is that I want to use activity diagrams to make process descriptions. The descriptions are so large and contain several level of detailing that I have to use a structure in my diagrams. I want to have a certain top-level diagram with a basic process flow. In that diagram every activity consists of a complete new diagram with another flow and activities and so on (about four to five levels).

It’s something like this:

Level 0: start -> activity 1 -> activity 2 -> end
| |
| -> further detailed in lvl1-act1
-> further detailed in lvl1-act2

Level 1 - activity 1: start -> activity 1a -> … -> activity 1x -> end
Level 1 - activity 2: start -> activity 2a -> … -> activity 2x -> end

Level 2 - activity 1a: …

and so on…

I hope this clarifies a bit what I am looking for. In UML 1.x subactivities perform this functionality.

Sincerely,
Patrick Holthuizen

Please take a look at the attachment.

Do Visual Paradigm activity diagrams support the following components and how can I get them:

1. Page 6 - Figure 4 - Connector
  2. Page 6 - Figure 5 - Subactivity diagram (as a real separate diagram)

Sincerely,
Patrick Holthuizen
Together_White_paper__.zip

Dear Patrick,

Currently VP-UML does not support the Connector notation. The diagram in Figure 5 is supported, and actually it is not a separate diagram, the “Return Video” shape is “Activity” in UML 2.0 activity diagram, “Rented Video” is “Activity Parameter Node”, “Scan Video” is “Action”, you can find all the shapes you need in Figure 5 in our new Activity Diagram.

Regards,

Antony.