VPUML + SVN sort of corrupted my model

Last night, I ran into issues committing my model over VPN. Every time I tried to commit, the progress bar would go to 100%, and then I’d just get this error: “SVN update error”. I tried about three more times, and then got this even more scary error:

svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
svn: Can’t move ‘\SVNWorking.svn\tmp\entries’ to ‘\SVNWorking.svn\entries’: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I ended up saving the file under a different name, just so I wouldn’t lose any work. I restarted VPUML and was still able to load my model. I updated again and everything seemed to be okay.

Tonight, I made more changes to my model, and once again I got the dreaded “SVN update error” message when I tried to commit. I decided to manually update again (using Tools | Teamwork | Update), and now it did something really weird, and “appended” my changes to the model that was in the repository. For example, I added an “Idle” state in between two states, and after updating, the Idle state was in the model, but it was floating over other states, and not connected.

This is really weird. I can redo the work because it’s not all that much, but I’d like to know what I should really do the next time I get these SVN errors.

Hi Dmatsumoto,

Thanks for your post. It seems that your project in workspace is corrupted. Could you please

  1. export your project to XML file (as a backup of your modification)
  2. re-check out the project from SVN server (via Teamwork Client)
  3. import the XML back to the checked out project
    and see if the problem can be solved?

Look forward to hearing your response.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Thanks, Lilian, I’ll let you know how it goes when I fix the problems.

Here are a couple of other interesting observations. The first one probably isn’t helpful at all, but right now VPUML freezes on me every couple of minutes. I’ll be moving stuff around, and then the GUI will stop responding for a minute or so. Then it’ll start working again and the cycle repeats over and over again.

Also, in the models that got “corrupted” (it looks more like a bad merge), not only are the newer elements on top of the previously-committed ones, but all of the labels that I added to my state transitions look blank. However, when I double click on the transitions to re-enter the text, the text is actually there! In other words, it appears when I double click on the transition, but then disappears when I click off of them.

Hi Lilian,

How do you re-checkout the project? It’s already checked out, so I can’t do it again. I just tried to commit again locally (at the office and not over VPN), and I got the SVN update error again. Should I go as far as using Manage Project, then remove my project from the teamwork client, then re-add it and check out again?



I went ahead and removed the project via the Manage Projects option in the Teamwork Client. I then re-added it and checked out the project. I tried to commit again and got the other “file is corrupted” error that I originally posted about.

I removed the project again via Teamwork Client, and shut down VPUML. Then I SVN updated my folder from TortoiseSVN and some files got updated. I went back into the Teamwork Client, re-added my project, then imported the file you asked me to export (thanks for that suggestion!!!). Everything went back in as expected, except there was one weird dangling state transition. I fixed that, and then committed the changes. There were some conflicts that seemed innocuous enough, and honestly I didn’t understand them so I chose to revert to be on the safe side (even though this meant I might have to redo some work again). Everything committed fine, and now my VPUML can commit as I would expect.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying and it’s really a good news that you can continuous work as normal now! :slight_smile:
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong