Where is the help file?

Is there a real help file available for VP-UML? The only documentation I can find are the users guies and I would like a refrence source. When I click on help, I get a message that the help file is not installed. When I click on the button to download the help file, I get an error. I copied the URL into a browser, and downloaded a zip file containg help materials, but still, no real help file. What am I missing? Thanks.

Hi Pro3carp3,

Thanks for your query. If you download the help file via IE, the vpuml-help.jar will be automatically convert to a .zip file (and I believe that you downloaded by IE).

Please rename the .zip file to .jar manually, then put it into %VP-installation-directory%/lib folder and restart VP-UML. You should be able to launch the help file after doing these. If there are any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

I changed the name to vpuml-help.jar, but the help installer did not recognize it. (It did not appear in the open file dialog box with the other jar files.) Any other ideas? Thanks.

Oops…

That was me above.

Hi Pro3carp3,

Thanks for replying, could you please try the following steps and see if the help file works in this time? Thanks!

1. download the help file at http://download.europe.visual-paradigm.com/visual-paradigm/vpsuite3.2/sp1_20080417/Update/lib/vpuml-help.jar
    (rename to .jar if necessary)
  2. put the downloaded file into “lib” folder inside the folder of VP Suite
  3. restart the application
  4. select Help > Visual Paradigm for UML Help in the main menu to see if the help file works this time.

Please note that the help file in the above link is for VP-UML 6.2. If there are any problems or inquiries, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

The file downloaded as a jar file this time and it worked. Thank you, Lillian.

Unfortunately however, I haven’t been able to use VP as I hoped as creating relationships in an ERD diagram is unworkable.

Hi Pro3carp3,

Thanks for replying and it’s a good news that the help file works.

For the problem about creating relationships in ERD, could you please give me more details of the problem you are experiencing? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

VP does not allow you to add a relationsihp between two existing columns without adding columnds to the table. It wants to add relatinoships for all possible column combinations between the two tables and doesn’t allow me to select only the one relationship that I want.

Hi Pro3carp3,

Thanks for your details. In fact, our engineers have decided to support this in the future already. Also, I’ve leave a private message to you about the details of this issue, please have a check in your private message. Thanks!

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi all,

Just want to let you know since VP Suite 3.3 (covers VP-UML 6.3), it supports adding relationship between 2 columns without additional column created.

Below is the link of the flash movie showing this enhancement in ERD:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200806/FlashDemo/erd_add_relationship.htm

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

:oops: :oops: :frowning: :(link is corupt

That link is no longer valid. May I know what build of VP you are using?

Best regards,
Rain Wong