XMI Export

Hello Jick,

I’ve attached sample XMI file. It was generated as UML2.

Of course, encoding problem hasn’t big priority for me - importing stereotypes and tagged values is much more important.

Regards,
Jacek
TestAcceleo.uml

HI Jacek,

I have consulted our engineers, and they told me that windows-1250 should be the same as Cp1250. Would it be UML2’s problem that can’t accept our file encoded with windows-1250?

Importing stereotypes and tagged values require more changes. I am afraid this won’t be supported very soon. But we’ll inform you once it is ready.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

Before importing model with eclipse I change encoding manually in exported xmi file, and import passes without any problems.

As far as stereotypes are concerned - maybe there is something like half-way solution? I saw quite simple approach - stereotypes were represented as ecore annotations.
Example below shows the Entity stereotype representation:

I don’t know, which way are tagged values represented.

Regards,
Jacek

Hi Jlick,
I checked for updates last Week and this and no one was available.
Can you please tell me how to pick the patch resolving French characters issue .
Many thx
Regards,

To Jacek,

Thank you. I will let our engineers know about this.

Best regards,
Jick

To Riadh,

Concerning the encoding issues, please select the correct encoding when exporting XMI. For your case it should be ISO-8859-1. Please see the attached image for more information.

Concerning the multiplicity issue, the UML2 XMI will now export both <lowerValue value=“0”…> and <upperValue value=“"…> when "” is selected as multiplicity.

Best regards,
Jick

xmi-encoding.png

Hi Jick,
There is another issue - interfaces are exported as classes with <> stereotype, since eclipse expects elements of type interface.

Regards,
Jacek

HI Jacek,

Thank you for your post. I will ask our engineers to fix it up.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jacek,

The problem of incorrectly exported interface as class has been fixed. Please download the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200708/Patch/6-1-0_20070814b/VP_Suite_Windows_3_1_20070814b.exe

This also includes the fix of the following problem:

1. When I use default encoding “windows-1250” and generate xmi file, polish characters are changed with something like escape sequences, but if I choose “other” option, and then “windows-1250” from the combo box, it works well.

Now, the default is changed to UTF-8 rather than windows-1250.

Please run the patch and install it by overwriting the existing installation.

Feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]HI Jacek,

Importing stereotypes and tagged values require more changes. I am afraid this won’t be supported very soon. But we’ll inform you once it is ready.

Best regards,
Jick[/quote]

Jick,

Thanks again for keeping us updated on this. Can you provide a ballpark estimate for the stereotypes/tagged values changes (i.e. a month, six months, a year)? I apologize for being a “broken record” on this, but we’ve got some collaborators who are looking for a UML IDE that includes these features, and they have requested that we keep giving them updates.

Thanks,
Ellen

Hi Jacek and Ellen,

I have discussed with our engineers. They would like to know if your goal is to make Eclipse UML2 able to “know” the stereotype of model. If yes, we wonder if this is valid or not. Please refer to:
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools.emf/msg12467.html
Excerpt:
“A stereotype is a UML concept, and EMF (Ecore) is not an implementation of UML. A similar concept in MOF is tags, which are essentially represented in Ecore as annotations.”

and we have tried in Eclipse UML2, it seems it’s really not stereotype as we can’t apply the stereotype.

We’ll keep investigating this issue. Please feel free to give any comment about this.

Best regards,
Jick

uml2.png

[quote=Jick]Hi Jacek and Ellen,

I have discussed with our engineers. They would like to know if your goal is to make Eclipse UML2 able to “know” the stereotype of model. If yes, we wonder if this is valid or not. Please refer to:
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools.emf/msg12467.html
Excerpt:
“A stereotype is a UML concept, and EMF (Ecore) is not an implementation of UML. A similar concept in MOF is tags, which are essentially represented in Ecore as annotations.”

and we have tried in Eclipse UML2, it seems it’s really not stereotype as we can’t apply the stereotype.

We’ll keep investigating this issue. Please feel free to give any comment about this.

Best regards,
Jick[/quote]

Jick,

You are correct in that stereotypes defined in models are not “valid” in UML2-- stereotypes must be defined in a profile, after which the profile can be applied to the model and then the stereotypes can be applied to elements.

So, I suppose the question is: what are the plans for VP-UML to support profiles when importing/exporting to Eclipse UML2 via XMI? I’ve tried to import my profile XMI file and VP-UML does not appear to support it.

Thanks,
Ellen

HI Ellen,

Thank you for your clarification. I’ll discuss with our engineers and reply you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
Stereotypes represented as annotations are enough for me now, but I hope it will be full support in the future.

This article shows, how to define and apply profiles in eclipse:
http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/uml2/docs/articles/Introduction_to_UML2_Profiles/article.html

Regards,
Jacek

Hi Ellen and Jacek,

Thank you for your feedback. We decided to support Profile. But this may take some time for development. We’ll try our best to send you early access release that include this functionality in the next week. Let’s keep in touch.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,
I think it’s right decision.

Thanks,
Jacek

Hello Jacenty and ebadgley,

The support of profile export/import UML2 XMI is about ready. Do you want to try it out? I can arrange an early access release for you by request.

Best regards,
Jick

HI,
Thx for your Answer. But the solution you provide seems to be on version 6.1. We’re on 6.0 (Sp2 last update) version.
Is there, please, any solution without changing version.
And last question , to upgrade the version, is a new licence needed?

Many Thx, Ragards

Hi Riadh,

I regret that the change will be made available to the new version, probably VP Suite 3.1 Service Pack 1. In order to enjoy version upgrades, please purchase maintenance. The following page describes the content of software maintenance:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/shop/maintenance.jsp

With maintenance, you will receive version upgrades and technical supports. You may purchase maintenance by visiting the Maintenance page of your customer account.

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]Hello Jacenty and ebadgley,

The support of profile export/import UML2 XMI is about ready. Do you want to try it out? I can arrange an early access release for you by request.

Best regards,
Jick[/quote]

Jick,

Thanks for this-- I would be very interested! I am still operating on evaluation licenses while we determine if VP-UML is right for our needs (and this UML2 compatibility is very important for that) but I would definitely like to see the new release if possible.

(Sorry for the late reply; somehow my email notification of new posts got turned off…)

• Ellen Badgley

Hi Ellen,

I’ve sent you an email about the early access release. Please have a try. Feel free to let me know if there are any questions.

Best regards,
Jick