Application Freeze

The past 2 days, VP will freeze after about 5 minutes.
The only way to close VP is via task manager.
Restarting VP results in the freeze about five minutes later.

I have just run TestComplete alongside VP and have noted that the JavaSwing Object disappears when the freeze occurs.
Window(“IME”…), Window(MSCTFIME UI"…) and Window(“SunAwtToolkit”…) Objects remain open.

VP UML Modeller (6.1 SP1 20071119)

It turns out the trigger was the Auto Save Feature.
The root cause is unknown.

Problem caused by pasting text form a MS Word document into the Use Case Details Info tab sheet.
Removing this text has prevented a repeat of the problem.

Waiting for VP’s resolution.

Hi Mark,

As I know we’ve done some fine tuning for Use Case Description in the latest version, VP Suite 3.2 Service Pack 2, which is likely to solve your problem. If possible, I suggest you upgrading to it and have a try.

You may download at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/download/

If there’s anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick

Thanks for your reply. I have been working with the VP UML technical team the past weeks. A number of issues and defects were identified which caused this problem and others which ranged from Auto Save, HTML Editor, Spell Checker, Preview and others.

I now operate the application with the above features turned off with the new application build of Version 6.2 (Build sp1_20080301b) which was supplied yesterday 5-Mar-08.

Does the SP2 you mention supersede the build I was supplied yesterday?

Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Build sp1_20080301b is more updated than the one that can be downloaded from our website. In other words, you do not need to download again. Keep running sp1_20080301b, this should have the problem fixed.

Best regards,
Jick

Thank you. Unfortunately this does not address the performance issues related to HTML editing, Spell Checking, etc.

Hi Mark,

Do you mean the application is still freezing constantly? If yes, would you mind sending me your project file, and let us perform some testings with it? We may need to actually work with your project file for say, 30 minutes, to observe the performance.

Our Email address:
jick@visual-paradigm.com

Best regards,
Jick

Hello Jick

VP have remedied the constant freezing issue.
We still have a performance issue when using the product and using features like HTML in the editors.
I don’t have the Spell Checker or Auto Save on as it adversely impacted the performance (and don’t know if it has been corrected as I am too afraid to test it.)

A colleague of mine is running a quad processor 64 bit OS machine and the performance of the application is laughable. I am persevering as I have many hours work in the project so I almost have no choice.

For a copy of my project file, please speak with Rain.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

We are developing a new HTML editor. Your reply reminded us to test not only the editor can work, but also about the performance. I will ask our testing team to consider your case when testing the editor.

I will also inform you once the editor is ready to use.

Best regards,
Jick