Basic diagrams - local team server - sharing files

Hi,

I noticed that visual-paradigm is starting a local server for basic diagrams, related to vp-online.
I wondering now how to share those files with my colleagues. The cloud access seems very expensive. Our needs is just to share the files to all people being on the same team.

Is it possible to set up this server for multiple users for free ?
is it possible to share the files even so they are in a local repository in our computer ?

Best regards,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thank you for your inquiry. The local server is to support evaluating the web-based feature and is not for team collaboration. I suggest you sign-up a VP Online workspace. The works managed under VP Online can be shared among team members. It is a free service unless you need additional storage space.

You can sign up by selecting Team > Select Repository from the main menu. Since you have already chosen the local server option, you may need to switch to a blank workspace to perform a sign up. To switch to a new workspace, select Help > Switch Workspace from the main menu.

Hope the information has helped.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

It is somewhat annoying to buy a desktop tool, but to have to buy the VP online, don’t you think ?
It should be optional for a desktop tool, something that we could set up in our organisation, with the option to buy something in the cloud from you.

Does it also mean that you try to move the desktop tool to online only ?

Best regards,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

You can sign-up VP Online for free, and it comes with 1 GB storage space by default, but should be more than enough for general usage. Only when you need additional storage space, you need to upgrade to a paid plan.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

Yes, although it is difficult to know how many schemas and diagrams will fit in a 1 GB storage.

Additionally, if we buy Visual paradigm as 2 floating license, do we also have the VP online that we can edit the project online ? how does it work exactly ?

Best regards,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thank you for your reply. Let me explain a little bit.

Floating license has to be hosted in a server. There are two hosting options:
A. Host in a self-hosted VP Server (a.k.a. on premise)
B. Host in VP Online workspace

For option A (the self-hosted option), you don’t need any additional cost to install and run VP Server just for hosting floating license. However, if you want to enable the team features (e.g. commit, update, online diagrams, etc), you need to buy a Teamwork Server license. For pricing details, please read the page below (ref. to the “On Premise” column):

For option B, you don’t need any additional cost to use the team features. As long as the type of online diagram is supported by the edition of Visual Paradigm desktop product that you are running, you will be able to create and edit the diagram.

If you want an evaluation, you may perform the steps below:

1. In Visual Paradigm, select “Help > Switch Workspace” from the main menu

2. Input a new folder path and click OK to continue. Visual Paradigm will then restart itself in a clean environment.

3. Select “Team > Select Repository” from the main menu.

4. Sign up for a new VP Online workspace, which is free.

When finished, you can login in the workspace to create member accounts and projects. Your teammates can then login to the same workspace, checkout a project and start working. Of course, you can create online diagrams as well.

The following page gives you more ideas about how to sign-up VP Online from Visual Paradigm desktop:

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

OK thank you very much,

Please could you explain clearly how the floating licenses work ?

I am interested for 2 licenses, but I am not sure how it works exactly.
Is it correct that 5 persons could use the 2 licenses but no more than 2 persons can use it at the same time ?

If yes, what purpose has the name entered at the time of the payment ?

hoping that you can answer quickly …

Best regards,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thank you for your reply.

First of all, your understanding is correct. If your team has 5 members and only 2 of them will use Visual Paradigm at the same time, then buying 2 floating licenses is enough.

About the name to enter during payment, that’s the account owner and he/she will receive the emails to be sent by our system, which includes payment confirmation, customer account credential, etc.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

I just bought 2 licenses ! :slight_smile:

I noticed that I incorrectly read your older message, as I need to install a VP server in-house to manage the floating licenses. Am I correct to think that if I buy 30 GB VP cloud, the licenses will be managed in your cloud ? or do I still need a local server in all cases ?

Best regards,
Sylvain

Dear Sylvain,

Many thanks for choosing Visual Paradigm!

You do not need to buy the 30 GB VP cloud to host the floating license in the cloud. Even now, you can host the license in the cloud. All you need is a VP Online workspace.

If you already have a VP Online workspace, please follow the steps below to import your floating license file into VP Online:

1. Log in your workspace as manager at:
    (Make sure you are the manager because you need the admin rights to perform the steps below)

2. If you are opening the “Home” page, click on your name at the top right corner and select Administration from the drop-down menu.

3. Click on the Floating License menu on the left. If you don’t see the menu, don’t worry. Click on the System Tools menu, and check Show features and options for Visual Paradigm (desktop). The Floating License menu will appear.

4. Now, you can import your floating license file.

Once you have imported the license, you and your teammates can connect Visual Paradigm (desktop) to the online workspace to obtain a license. The article below describes the steps in detail. Please read the section Configure VP Client Acquire Floating License from VP Online

Make sure “vponline://” is chosen as the connection protocol.

If you don’t have a VP Online workspace, you can create one either through the web or from within Visual Paradigm. If you sign-up for a new workspace through online.visual-paradigm.com, you have to check the Show features and options for Visual Paradigm (desktop) option to enable the Floating License menu, as I mentioned in step 3 above.

About the 30 GB option, in case there is a misunderstanding, I would like to clarify a little bit. You can use the team features (i.e. collaboration, online diagrams, etc) without purchasing the 30 GB storage space. All you need to do is to create your projects in your VP Online workspace. Then, you and your teammates can open the project and start working collaboratively. No additional cost is needed. According to our experience, the 1 GB storage space should be enough for most users. You can keep checking the remaining space by performing these steps:

1. Log in to your VP Online workspace as an administrator

2. Open the System Tools page

3. Open the Disk Usage tab. From there, you can see the consumption. Unless you find it running out of space, you don’t need to consider purchasing extra storage space.

Hope the information has helped. If you have any questions, please feel free to post again, or submit a support request at:

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

This is really great, I did it, it works wonderfully.

I just have a last question, I did use a “too generic” email for the account holder of the licenses. Can it be changed somehow ? I will open a ticket to your support.

Additionally the workspace id cannot be changed, is it normal ? I believe I saw in the documentation that a good name was recommended (name of the organisation, or the department). Did I misunderstood something ?

Thank you very much again for your guidance, I really appreciated.

Best regards,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we can help you change your email. I am not sure if the workspace ID can be changed. We have to ask our engineers about it. To avoid disclosing your email address, please submit a ticket and detail your request. Our support team will certainly help you out.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung