Bit / boolean in mysql erd

why I can’t define bit data type in erd diagram using VP 8(Build sp1_20101209) as it available in mysql?? when I defined bit, it alwasy changed into tinyint(1)…

thanks in advance

Hello Yuda,

Thanks for your message and I’m sorry that currently we do not support bit datatype for MySQL. Actually this problem is caused by we still need to support some relative old MySQL (i.e. 5.0.3) which is not yet having bit datatype. To avoid compatibility problem, some of the datatype in newer database version may not yet being supported. But of course, our generated DDL and ORM source code will work for newer version, except the missing datatype.

I’ve discussed with our engineers and confirm we will support this in our future release. This including support finer version for specific database. I’ll let you know once this is available, and feel free to contact me if you have any further queries.

Best regards,
Rain

++ for adding support for boolean datatype. I’m designing a DB for PostgreSQL and it is annoying that I can select bool datatype but it is then automatically changed to tinyint. While it is possible to add datatypes for other languages, there is no such option for SQL, which is defintely a missing feature.

Hello Frank,

The available datatype in ERD is subject to the default database you have selected. If you have selected PostgreSQL in Database Configuration dialog, you will then have bool datatype for modeling in ERD. Otherwise it will convert to compatible type of your selected/default database automatically. Feel free to contact me for further queries.

Best regards,
Rain

Yes, I did select PostgreSQL in the database configuration and it doess offer me boolean as a data type when I create a new column but after entering it, it automatically converts the data type to tinyint.

Sorry that not quite understand what you mean by “but after entering it, it automatically converts the data type to tinyint”. Would you mind tell me more details about the step?

Best regards,
Rain

We have released VP Suite 5.3 which now support modeling ERD with some new datatype for MySQL, including bit datatype. You can download VP Suite 5.3 from the following link. Feel free to contact me for further queries.

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/download/

Best regards,
Rain

[quote=Rain]We have released VP Suite 5.3 which now support modeling ERD with some new datatype for MySQL, including bit datatype. You can download VP Suite 5.3 from the following link. Feel free to contact me for further queries.

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/download/

Best regards,
Rain[/quote]

Running VP Suite 5.3, target database is Derby, creating Entity Relationship Diagram but boolean isn’t showing up as a datatype for a table column, why? Derby hasn’t always supported booleans but has for awhile:

BOOLEAN data type – Boolean is now a legal data type for columns, routine arguments, and function return values.

MySQL 5.6.10
VP standard Edtion (build 20130307)

I make ERD having datatype bit

and create db for mysql ( 5.0.5 higher ) using mysql db configuration only…

i found table having column tinyint(1)

is it not solved?