Box descriptions reposition itself randomly on diagram screen

After drawing a rather complex diagram with boxes which include a description (free-floating capture, positioned at top-left corner) sometimes these descriptions tend to float randomly into extended corners of the full diagram.

Up until now, there is no clear reason for that that I or our team can identify. However, it takes a lot of time to reconfigure to the original layout.

Info:

• system running on Linux
  • no known reason that triggers the re-positioning

Hi Dresdner,

Thank you for your post and sorry about the problem. Are you using VP Online or the desktop version of Visual Paradigm? I am not very clear about what you mean by the extended corners of the full diagram, could you send me screenshots to show the diagram before and after the problem occur?

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

Thanks for asking. Using VP vers. 16.2 server-based version.
“Extended corners” - the mentioned descriptions of the boxes tend to flow outside the former existing size of the full diagram. Mostly they are to be found on the lower border out of sight (often only recognized when exporting the diagram into a pdf-file when the diagram is then way larger than expected).

Please let me know whether that description is making the case clear.

Best regards,
Dresdner

Hi Dresdner,

Could you upload some screenshots to show the problem?

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

Please find attached the requested screenshots. Caption placement is “free-floating”.
Hope that makes the described issue clearer. “Normally” the caption placement moves unintentionally towards one of the corners, often expanding the diagram, so that recognizing that text has moved elsewhere is only visible when exporting diagram as pdf-file for example.

Issue seems to occur mainly in Caption Placement mode “free-floating” which is used to place caption text inside a box at a specific position rather than using the pre-defined ones.

The reasoning(s) for the caption text to move to another position in the diagram by its own is not known. It seems to happen randomly.

Many thanks for your support, and perhaps other users have come across the same issue as well.

Best regards,
Dresdner

Here the situation after the caption has moved outside the box by its own.

Problem still exists (now forwarded as a regular ticket).

For all who wonder how to replicate this issue:

• Copy a component diagram (with “free-moving” captions in boxes) to a blank component diagram
  • some of the captions should be found at “new” positions within the diagram area

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for the steps and screen captures. We can repeat the problem and our engineers are now checking. When a fix is ready, I will post here. Thank you again for your help and patience.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi Jick,

Thanks a lot for your message. Looking forward to the solution.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

The issue you reported has been fixed earlier. It is available in the latest production build so you can obtain the fix by updating to the latest build (not a patch build but a general build).

The changelog will be updated later…

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Jick, for the final update on the issue.

Best, Ralf

You’re welcome. Please fee free to contact us again if you have any other questions or needs.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung