BPMN 2.0 - Position and Direction of Labels

Why did you skip yesterdays message regarding topic mentioned in subject?

My post was avaliable in the preList of your moderated forum:

http://forums.visual-paradigm.com/posts/preList/270407/747960.html

Today this topic isn’t available in preList AND VP-UML forum too. I’m anyway interested in answers regarding my questions…

Wondering about the situation - Frank :roll:

Hi,

I guess I have deleted your post by mistake. Would you mind asking again? Sorry about this.

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Jick,

thanks for responding. The situation is as follows:

BPMN diagrams in my project usually will use horizontal pools. Depending on diagram content lot of space is required, sometimes two TFTs are not enough to show all details. Searching options to reduce horizontal diagram size I detected two options, both based on arrangement of labels attached to diagram elements like start events aso.

In general labeling everything in diagram is good idea to improve readability and to prevent misinterpretation. For example message start event may be named like “Service request recieved from ABC containing payload XYZ”. This label of course needs to be placed very next to the element, otherwise mapping will get very strong. Allright, we put it to the bottom of the start event. But the place required for this label conflicts with the next element, you have to left place between start event label and the next element -> diagram size will be increased form element to element.

A) Is it possible to rotate labels e.g. by 90 degrees, so that no additional space in horizontal direction is required?

B) Is it possible to resize labels as the same way as possible with tasks? Means I would like to grab label via mouse to modify width/height dynamically, content of label should be shown in multiple lines instead of one long one.

(recommended option B may be achieved by adding [Alt]+[Return] in label - but this is not useful due to special characters shown in model explorer and resulting unreadabilitiy)

Please give me some feedback regarding the mentioned suggestions.

Thank you - Frank

Hi Frank,

Sorry for my late reply.

I can understand point B. For A, do you expect to position the start event name like the way showing in the attached image?

Best regards,
Jick

eventName.png

Hi Jick,

right, for A I would like to rotate label as shown in your image. Maybe this is already possible, but anyway I don’t know where to configure?

Thanks - Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for replying but we are sorry that vertical caption of shape names is not supported at the moment, we only support on connectors (right-click on diagram and select Connectors > Caption Orientation). But we will consider it and let you know once there is any news on this issue.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

Hi Frank,

In regard to resize captions, you mentioned that using Alt+Enter will results unreadability due to the special characters shown in model explorer. How about you keep using Alt+Enter to have multi-lines caption content but hide the carriage return character in Model Explorer/Diagram Navigator?

In order to hide the carriage return character, please right-click on the Model Explorer/Diagram Navigator and select Show Carriage Return Character to disable it (as shown as attached image). If there is any further inquiry, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lilian Wong

hide_carriage_return_character.png