Bugs in copying classes and ERD generating

Gents,

I need to copy a significant number of ORM persistable classes in my model. I face a number of problems when I do this.

Problem 1:

1. create ORM persistable ClassA
  2. synchronize to ERD
  3. copy ClassA within VP UML, paste Model, ClassA2 gets created, remove ID
  4. synchronize to ERD, a message “Change the table name from ClassA to ClassA2”
  5. if I say no then the table is not created, when I say yes then table ClassA changes to ClassA1

Problem 2:
Perform 4 steps from the previous scenario
5. Just say yes
6. Change attribute name in ClassA, synchronize to ERD and see what happens!

Problem 3:

1. create ORM persistable ClassB
  2. synchronize to ERD
  3. create ORM persistable ClassBBB
  4. Copy (not Move!) attributes from ClassB to ClassBBB
  5. synchronize to ERD - attributes disappear from ClassB

Is there any method of copying classes and synchronizing to ERD that works?

Cheers,
Tadeusz

Hi Tadeusz,

Looks like a problem related to copy and paste of ORM persistable class. We will fix the problem, and get back to you.

Best regards,
Jick

Jick,

I need it really badly!

Cheers,
Tadeusz

hi Tadeusz,

Don’t worry. This is fixed. We are arranging a patch for you.

Best regards,
Jick

HI Tadeusz,

Please down the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200706/Patch/sp2_20070612v/vpplatform.jar

To install the patch:

1. Shutdown any running instances of VP
  2. Replace $vp-suite-install-dir/lib/vpplatform.jar with the downloaded jar file
  3. Run $vp-suite-install-dir/bin/VP Suite.exe to install the patch
  4. Restart the application

Note:

1. If you are going to download with Internet Explorer, you may need to rename the file from .zip to .jar manually
  2. Please do not run Product Update after applying the patch. Otherwise the update will replace the patch with the previous version (I will inform you to run the update when the next release is ready)

Please let me know if it works.

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Jick,

Thanks for the patch. It works better than before, but not fully yet. There is still a number of nasty bugs there. The most obvious one is that when I copy an ORM persistable superclass, the inheritance strategy changes from “Table per subclass” to “Table per class hierarchy”.

I can not report all other errors, because reproducing them and making a clean description takes a lot of time. And frankly, I feel misused. I have an impression that you are using me as a beta tester. Actually, I expect a kind of a reward. And “thank you” is not enough! :wink: What would you say if you give me free updates for the next year? (I am serious about it. I think you can really benefit from my testing. And there is even more to it. We also enhance DDL and C# code generated by VP with some features like data auditing, optimistic concurrency, data versioning as well as with support for WCF of .NET 3. Maybe there is a chance of combining our efforts).

Cheers,
Tadeusz

hi Tadeusz,

Though we appreciate your help, it is not our policy to offer free updates to users who report bugs to us. Frankly, we didn’t meant to treat our users as tester, indeed. If users are willing to report any bugs or propose any suggestion, we are very welcome, and appreciate.

Everytime we received a bug report from user, we will thoroughly review our testing procedures to make sure similar kind of problem will not occur again. What we can provide is a promise to provide prompt reaction (response and fix) to the reported problem.

So let’s go back to the problem of copying ORM persistable superclass. I will ask our team to fix, and then let you know.

With regards to your suggestions on .NET ORM, I will forward to our team for further studies. We are eager to improve our ORM support, trust me. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Jick

Hi Tadeusz,

The problem of not preserving inheritance strategy is fixed. Please download the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200706/Patch/sp2_20070621i/VP_Suite_Windows_3_0_sp2_20070621i.exe

Best regards,
Jick