Cannot use ORM Component

Hi Jick,

I have downloaded the file you suggested:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200710/Patch/sp1_20071101d/VP_Suite_Windows_3_1_sp1_20071101d.exe

And now I have this “pretty” bug (maybe it was also in the prev. version):

• Create new project (C#)
  • Create new Package (bugs)
  • Create new Class Diagram (Class Diagram1)
  • Create ORM Persistable Class (Orm1)
  • Add some attributes (att1: int)
  • Use context menu to create “Composition -> ORM Component Class”
  • Name the new Class “Comp1”, and add “att11: int” to it

Sync to ERD. Table is well generated.

Now the funny thing… try to generate CODE… Impossible! :shock:

BTW, this helps me introduce a “nice to have” feature in the program: Sometimes when generating code the process fails because of a ill-formed association, etc. That would be VERY NICE to tell the user AT THE VERY LEAST the name of the Class/Association/whatever involved in the error, to help him/her to fix it. Not only “email support” :lol: Well, your support is awesome, but sometimes the problem is very easily solved, with no need to always email your support.

The only workaround I have found for searching a bug in the design is exporting some piece of the original project to a new one, try to generate code, then if failed, export few pieces to a new smaller project and so on… until you can find where the problem is in one or two Class Diagrams :roll:

Surely, VERY time consuming (real world designs are HUGE). Is it possible to do this “design-bug-hunting” more painless?

Many thanks

Hi distansia,

Thank you for your posts. You really spent much time on making us to improve. Thanks a lot.

We are now fixing the Component Class problem, will send you a patch once the fix is ready.

We agree that asking user to contact our support team is not a wise suggestion. Actually, we treated that as the last resort - Try to show that message only when an unpredictable error occurs (like the bug you discovered in this thread). In general, we try to give user as much information as possible when a “traceable” problem, for instance, using reserved word as role name, is detected. But we understand we still have lot to do regarding the warning message. One of the major problem now is that the messages are not informative enough. We will improve. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards,
Jick

Hello distansia,

The problem related to generated code with ORM Component is fixed. Please download and install the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200710/Patch/sp1_20071102c/VP_Suite_Windows_3_1_sp1_20071102c.exe

Best regards,
Jick

[quote=Jick]Thank you for your posts. You really spent much time on making us to improve. Thanks a lot.
[/quote]
You are welcome. I am evaluating your product with a real life project developed at my company. So this real life problems shown by themselves 8)

If I try the samples, tutorials, … all are working well (this is the same with ALL other computer software, you know).

Then when I found a bug I try to reproduce it, using as few steps as possible, to inform you. I have read some older posts on this forum and I think you work very well in the VPusers-VPdevelopers team interface :wink:

Right now, I think that this is the main problem with all the bugs I reported, because, simply put, you can not use a ORM Component in your design. And there is no workaround other than converting all the ORM components into ORM Persistable Classes. A thing that it is not optimal.

[quote=Jick]
We agree that asking user to contact our support team is not a wise suggestion. Actually, we treated that as the last resort[/quote]
Well, I only would like to know the name of the affected “item” what is causing the error.

Your different find functions are GREAT and will locate the culprit item afterwards.

You know, try to put the “item name” somewhere when raising an exception in the code :roll: (joking)

Anyway, you all do an excellent work fixing bugs at a very fast paced way. My congratulations.

[quote=Jick]Hello distansia,

The problem related to generated code with ORM Component is fixed. Please download and install the patch at:
http://files3.visual-paradigm.com/200710/Patch/sp1_20071102c/VP_Suite_Windows_3_1_sp1_20071102c.exe

Best regards,
Jick[/quote]

Oops… I was writing the previous post while you were writing this. I will test now with new version. Thank you!

Hello distansia,

You are welcome. We are very interested in knowing how users use our product. This gives us opportunities to tune our products and services to more user friendly. Thank you for your posts! :smiley: :smiley:

Best regards,
Jick