Can't delete frame safely

Hello,

I have a question:
In my Sequence Diagram I accidentely created a frame around some methods and it automaticly expanded to include almost the whole SD! Now when I try to delete it, all blue blocks where my arrows go to and from disappear! How can I safely remove the frame without breaking the whole diagram?

I must say VP has me remaking lots of my diagram over and over again because of this kind of unexpected beheaviour and shaky undo functionality…

Hope there’s a simple workaround.
Thanks in advance,
Alex

Dear Poke,

I am sorry for any inconvenience the unexpected behavior of Frame may cause you and I have passed your problem on to our development team.

I just think of a workaround for you. You may try selecting all models within the diagram (Ctrl-A), and then deselect the Frame, and then right-click on the selection and choose Send to | New Sequence Diagram from popup menu. All selected models will be cloned and placed in a new Sequence Diagram. You can then work on with the ‘new’ Sequence Diagram.

I hope this can help you solve the problem temporary. We will investigate the problem and get back to you as soon as we can.

Best Regards,
Jick

Dear Poke,

I have a question about your problem. Could you please let me know whether you were really creating a Frame or other models? The reason I ask is that a Frame would not include all LifeLines which result in including the whole diagrams. But for alt/loop, the messages would not be removed… To avoid fixing the wrong issue, I would first like to clarify with you what type of model that you have accidentally created on the diagram. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Jick

The frame-type I SHOULD have chosen was indeed ‘loop’, but I made a mistake and just used the button ‘Frame’ on the left.

The steps:

• Create some life lines
  • Create three calls (put them far apart)
  • Click ‘Frame’ and drag a box around the bottom two calls

Now move or delete the frame and see the top call (which shouldn’t be linked to the frame) is also moved/deleted.

AFAICS there is no way (other than the workaround mentioned above) to remove the frame without losing the call lifelines.

I think there are two bugs here:

1. that the frame doesn’t just include the objects you dragged a box around.
  2. that when you answer ‘no’ to the questions if you want to remove the sub-objects, VP removes them anyway

In my original project the frame also expanded, couldn’t reproduce that… maybe if you add a fourth call?

I’ve attached a test project.

TIA,
Alex
frametest.vpp

Hi Poke,

A hotfix for the problems arose by Frame is deployed, please download the hotfix here:
http://files2.visual-paradigm.com/200601/HotFix/20060116f/vpplatform.jar

Please follow the instruction from the page below to apply the hotfix:
http://resource.visual-paradigm.com/tips_and_tricks/general/replacing_hot_fix.html

If there are any further questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Jick

The ‘Frame’ object is now (apparently) completely unlinked to the lifelines. Is this correct / by design?
If yes, then it’s fixed. Nice bug turnaround btw! Kudos to the development team!

Do you guys have a bugtracker? I have some more bugs if you’re interested :wink:

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Poke,

Yes, the containment behavior is changed to fix the problem. Thank you for your testing.

I regret that we do not have any bugtracker at the moment. But we would REALLY welcome any kind of bug report and suggestion. We appreciate if you submit your bug report at:
http://www.visual-paradigm.com/support/bugreport.jsp

Our support team will get back to you as soon as they can.

Many thanks!

Best Regards,
Jick

Hi,

It seems that tis issue has regressed as I have exactly the same problem in the latest version.
I must say it is concerning that the quality of this software seems to be questionable.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your post and we are so sorry about the problem. It’s pretty strange because we have not been receiving similar bug report for years. Could you let me know about the steps? Besides, could you capture a screenshot to show the problem, and a screenshot to show the About window (Help > About VP-UML)?

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Jick Yeung

Hi all,
I have the same problem with the sequence diagram. I suspect, but can’t be sure, that the problem occurred when I started to move the lifelines across to the right to make more room. It was after I did this that the frame jumped to the full size of the screen and will not let me delete it. If I click delete it removes everything other than the actor from the screen. I tried to click on the hotfix link in the forum but it appears it has been removed.

Appreciate a fix for this.
Thanks
Steve
Mac OS/X 10.9
VP Version 10.2
Build 20131103

Hello Steve,

Sorry for our late response. The hot fix link actually is for a pretty old version, and this is why it no longer available by now. Our engineers suspect the problem us caused by some containment behavior for the frame. But after some test we still unable to repeat the problem. Would it be possible that you can share your diagrams to me so that we can find some hint about what is the problem? You can send me your project to support-team@visual-paradigm.com. Please include the URL of this forum post in your reply so that we can associate it with your case. Thanks and look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,
Rain Wong